Building Inspector Concerned with Outdoor Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat4steve

Jul 15, 2009
Rochester Ny
I want to put econoburn 150 in an outside shed. My building inspector is concerned that smoke will impact the surrounding homes. He is okay with me putting it in the house because the chimney would be higher. He would be okay if I used a garn outside. Can anyone provide some persuasive information I could use? A garn is not in my budget and I do not think I can persuade my wife to allow a wood boiler indoors. Thanks.

Well chances are you cant change your building inspector . So it looks like you have only 2 options either a higher chimney or a new wife . Since my x cost me plenty I would go with the higher chimney .

Does the inspector have the authority to deny your application on the basis of which brand of boiler you want? A boiler in a shed either meets local code or it doesn't. There shouldn't be anything subjective about it.

I spoke with the building inspector today. I would need a permit to legally install the boiler. I explained that this boiler will be mostly smoke free. He said that he may give the okay once I provide product information. However, I could be in a bind if the neighbors complaine. Also I will try to use a high chimney. Thank to all for your feedback.

If there are no existing state/town laws against the brand/type of boiler you are planning to install and you install it per manufacturers recomendations and specs, there is no reason that he can deny you.

Status
Not open for further replies.