Building my Own

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles

Oct 30, 2006
I am an English ex-pat living in France, enjoying the good life and generally just "vegging out".

However, the long suffering partner has decided that now the evenings are drawing in she would like a traditional log burning fire in the living room.

Good oh I thought, they are on special at the DIY store, let's get one! We picked one out, got it home then looked at the French instructions on building the said stone and iron edifice and thought, easy, just like a jigsaw but larger, heavier and in stone, but difficult to get much help from the store on technicalities "sorry mate, we only sell them, you need to get advice from elsewhere!!" A friend mentioned this site so I looked and here I am.

I wonder if anyone out there could answer just a few simple questions?

There is an existing sealed fireplace and chimney, so I will be building this large stone housing/fireplace against the wall and breaking into the chimney at a height of about 10 feet to route the flexitube chimney liner. No problems there - but then I thought do I need to put a heat protector/shield around the liner, the wall is concrete.

Also, the wood-burner will sit on a concrete slab about 11 inches above a hardwood floor, should I also place a cement-board (Durarock/Wonderboard) thereunder?

Any advice would be most welcome - the sooner built, the quicker she will get off my back!!

Charles

This sounds like some serious overkill. Couldn't a small stove just be placed in the fireplace with maybe a little hearth extension?

I'm having trouble visualizing what is being attempted. What make and model unit is being installed? What condition and type of flue on the chimney? Is it lined? What size is it? Can you post some photos of the existing fireplace?

And most importantly, where are you located Charles? Maybe one of us will have to come for an extended visit for a consultation ;-)

Dylan said:
Aren't there some videos of logs burning in a fireplace....or do they not have the English sub-titles??

I've got a video of a pellet stove. I think it kicks off more heat. I only get a two hour burn before I have to rewind though.

It is hard to 'picture'... have you got one? (a picture that is)

And some measurements/ dimensions of the pad, room chimney...

Also a link to the product... if there is one.

BonJour Charles,

Bienvenue a la forum...In addition to dimensions/pictures, may want to check with the Canton/village for the building codes and possible permit..

Sounds like you may be putting a built in in front of another built in.....

Of course, you have to consider the cleaning of the pipe - hopefully you are using a 30 degree angle or less as opposed to 90 degree, and if you are using 90 degree, the pipe must be accessible for cleaning.

Can you find a pic of the unit you are installing online and point us to it....that would help

The living room is 5.5 metres square - the closed fireplace mentioned is in fact a closed flue entry at waist height (3 foot) and the chimney is situated inside a flat wall.

The chimney is 10 metres tall and 8 inches square, so I will be lowering a 10 metre flexiliner down to connect to the 1 metre high steel pipe which comes out of the top of the stove. Sharpest angle will be no more that 25 degrees.

The make of the fireplace/stone surround for the wood burner is REVEL with a stone lintel, supplied with, as far as I can see a stove with no name.

As said stone sits on a concrete slab about 11 inches above the floor.

Charles

Would this be near Carcassonne? I'm wondering if the stove is named after the town? Stoves without names give me the heebee jeebees. This is the heart of the system so you want it to be a good one.

Post a photo, and before you start building, does this have a return policy? You might be much better off to get a good name brand stove (morso, jotul, efel, etc. ) and place it on the hearth with a liner instead of going the kit route.

Status
Not open for further replies.