Building new house suggestions on an EPA fireplace or insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malibud

Nov 19, 2007
north carolina
I have been looking at quadrafire . Any other suggestions? The house will be 2300sf. The fireplace will be in a 2 story living room. I am looking for clean and efficient. All suggestion are helpful. Even general ones on building a fireplace anything you have done that has worked or you would do differently.
Thanks

I think that Hampton and Jotul make the sharpest-looking inserts on the market.Imo.

I built a new home this summer and installed a bis ultima so far i couldn't be happier. Much more efficient as well as better heat output compared to the buck model 20 in my old house.

Amen, a masonry heater is in my dream home.

malibud said:
Thanks for all the replies whats the difference between a masonary heater and an insert?
A masonry heater is a thermal mass of usually some sort of stone. It absorbs the heat from periodic fires then disburses it back into the house over the period of several hours. I am not an authority on them so here is some info for you. They are not cheap And must be well planned. There is at least one person on here with a masonry heater. Hopefully he will chime in.
http://mha-net.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonry_heater

An insert is more or less a wood stove fit into an existing fireplace. It is made to fit in the fireplace and the opening is finished of with some type of surround to complete the look. If your building new, now you need a fireplace to put the insert in. You might want to consider a freestanding stove, then there is no need for the fireplace. Although you may still want a terracotta lined chimney still erected to facilitate the exhaust for the stove. Or just run the stove pipe straight up and out. Which will require stove pipe to the ceiling them class A from ceiling box and up. Unless of course you go with the masonry heater, that is all in itself.
While you are building new, and have the opportunity, and if you have the cash. You should really research what you like best, and what is best for your new home.
If I was building new, I would shoot for the masonry heater. Which can also have an oven built into them for cooking, which is very helpful if you lose power alot.
They are usually big and beautiful, and usually the center point of the house. Good luck with whichever you decide.

malibud said:
Thanks for the info I guess the insert will be the most economical and efficent now to decide which one ...
2300 sf with open floor plan & high ceilings. Go large.

Where in NC? In the mountains, central or coast? Three very different climate zones.

If you are building new, you do NOT want an insert! An insert would be a major waste of money and effort for you, as an insert requires that it be installed INSIDE a fireplace. Inserts are designed for people who want to improve a PRE-EXISTING fireplace. To put an insert into new construction would require you to pay for, and install a new fireplace and chimney, then pay for and install an insert, and probably a liner.

While I would second the earlier posters in extolling the virtues of a Masonry Heater, (and the claim is that they are slightly more than a conventional masonry fireplace, so they are expensive but not astronomical) if budget doesn't allow that, what you want is either a free standing stove, or an EPA listed Pre-fabricated FIREPLACE, not an insert.... Essentially this is a pre-fab fireplace that is built with the same sort of technology and design as a modern stove or insert, but designed to be installed like any other Zero-Clearance type fire place. They are slightly more expensive than a non-EPA listed "builder box" type unit, but far less than a ZC box plus an insert. Some of them have the added advantage of being equipped with ducts that can be used to distribute heated air to other parts of your house.

However if budget is a real constraint, the other option is to design and put in a well located hearth for a free-standing stove. A stove can be your lowest cost option, and it is the easiest to build a hearth for. It also gives the most options for future changes and upgrades if the setup is well designed since all that would be needed is to swap out the stoves and maybe a few lengths of connector pipe.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
If you are building new, you do NOT want an insert! An insert would be a major waste of money and effort for you, as an insert requires that it be installed INSIDE a fireplace. Inserts are designed for people who want to improve a PRE-EXISTING fireplace. To put an insert into new construction would require you to pay for, and install a new fireplace and chimney, then pay for and install an insert, and probably a liner.

While I would second the earlier posters in extolling the virtues of a Masonry Heater, (and the claim is that they are slightly more than a conventional masonry fireplace, so they are expensive but not astronomical) if budget doesn't allow that, what you want is either a free standing stove, or an EPA listed Pre-fabricated FIREPLACE, not an insert.... Essentially this is a pre-fab fireplace that is built with the same sort of technology and design as a modern stove or insert, but designed to be installed like any other Zero-Clearance type fire place. They are slightly more expensive than a non-EPA listed "builder box" type unit, but far less than a ZC box plus an insert. Some of them have the added advantage of being equipped with ducts that can be used to distribute heated air to other parts of your house.

However if budget is a real constraint, the other option is to design and put in a well located hearth for a free-standing stove. A stove can be your lowest cost option, and it is the easiest to build a hearth for. It also gives the most options for future changes and upgrades if the setup is well designed since all that would be needed is to swap out the stoves and maybe a few lengths of connector pipe.

Gooserider

Hmmm, I think I said this ;)

Hogwildz said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Sort of... you didn't mention the EPA fireplace option... No biggie, as long as one of us gets the message accross, I think we've got most everything covered now, unless you want to send him to the Boiler room and Eric and friends work him over for a bit... :coolsmirk:

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Hogwildz said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Sort of... you didn't mention the EPA fireplace option... No biggie, as long as one of us gets the message accross, I think we've got most everything covered now, unless you want to send him to the Boiler room and Eric and friends work him over for a bit... :coolsmirk:

Gooserider
I do believe the Quad 7100 is an EPA fireplace ;) No biggie, its all covered now. I am staying clear of the boiler room.
Those guys are pipe heads ;)

Gooserider said:
If you are building new, you do NOT want an insert!........

....., what you want is either a free standing stove, or an EPA listed Pre-fabricated FIREPLACE, not an insert.... Essentially this is a pre-fab fireplace that is built with the same sort of technology and design as a modern stove or insert, but designed to be installed like any other Zero-Clearance type fire place. They are slightly more expensive than a non-EPA listed "builder box" type unit, but far less than a ZC box plus an insert. Some of them have the added advantage of being equipped with ducts that can be used to distribute heated air to other parts of your house.

Gooserider

The Kozyheat Z42, the Bis Tradition, and the Lennox Montecito Estate (see links above in earlier response) are all EPA approved ZC pre-fabricated high efficiency fireplaces. They provide lots of heat, low emissions, and minimal heat loss from home when not being used.

BTB said:
Gooserider said:
If you are building new, you do NOT want an insert!........

....., what you want is either a free standing stove, or an EPA listed Pre-fabricated FIREPLACE, not an insert.... Essentially this is a pre-fab fireplace that is built with the same sort of technology and design as a modern stove or insert, but designed to be installed like any other Zero-Clearance type fire place. They are slightly more expensive than a non-EPA listed "builder box" type unit, but far less than a ZC box plus an insert. Some of them have the added advantage of being equipped with ducts that can be used to distribute heated air to other parts of your house.

Gooserider

The Kozyheat Z42, the Bis Tradition, and the Lennox Montecito Estate (see links above in earlier response) are all EPA approved ZC pre-fabricated high efficiency fireplaces. They provide lots of heat, low emissions, and minimal heat loss from home when not being used.

Sounds like one of those, or an equivalent product, would be the way to go then... I have to admit that I don't try to memorize the models and specs of all the different products, and it seemed to me like the OP was confused about what he needed. While I saw lots of people throwing model numbers around, I hadn't seen anybody spell it out in terms of defining what the difference was between an insert and an FP...

Gooserider

a high efficiency fireplace is essentially an insert that can be installed in a combustible surrounding
doubled walled air venting space to dissipate heat transfere to combustiables framing materials
many require air ducts from the 9outside to do this
Almost all come with blowers to move heat to the living space Its a combination fireplace and wood stove but high effeciency EPA rated

More important is the attention to details in building insulating the surround bump out I suggest you also use 5/8/ firecode x sheet inside the enclosure built don't forget to fire ftop the ceiling og the suround and insulate and sheet rock that as well the biggest complaint is these bump outs and chaces are not built correctly and cold drafts around and under the stove are nuisance

Thanks for the info I think I steering toward a fireplace xtrodinar elite 44 or 36. I did not quite understand your instillation tips . What is the best way to prevent drafts?

Status
Not open for further replies.