Building Splitter: Choosing right pump for piston.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backpack09

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2007
Rochester, Mass
How do you determine how big of a pump you need for your piston?

I am looking at a 3"bore 18"stroke 1 1/2" rod cylinder.

Thanks?

Dan

Two options: you can either dictate what you want your cycle time to be, and choose a pump/cylinder option to match, or you can look up some specs on common splitter configs.

Jags Rule of thumb for homeowner splitters:
3.5-4" piston will get a 11 gpm or 16 gpm pump if you want decreased cycle time
4-5" will get 16 gpm pump or 28 if you want some killer cycle times.

EDIT: a 3" bore is getting on the small side for a splitter. I'm not saying that you won't be able to do work with it, but it is gonna be a low tonnage unit. And....and 11 gpm pump should do you just fine on that size of cylinder.

And remember that once you've picked a pump, you need to get an engine to match the pump. It must have at least 1/2 the horsepower as the pump is rated for in GPM - i.e. 5.5hp for an 11gpm pump, 8 hp for a 16gpm, etc... I would suggest going to the next bigger HP increment i.e. a 6 or 9 hp for the pumps mentioned just to give you some margin... Significantly bigger engines waste power, a smaller one will stall under heavy loads. Note that the engine MUST be run at full throttle to get the rated pump performance - pump volume is determined by RPM, so putting an oversized engine on a machine and running it at part throttle won't give the desired performance... Most pumps are not designed for side loading, you will probably want an adapter and "lovejoy" type coupler to fit whatever pump you get to the engine...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.