Building the non-combustable wall with what sheetrock and stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zephyr0512

Dec 29, 2020
Pensacola FL
It’s time to rebuild the walls for behind the stove. My contractor says he will use a type of fire retardent sheet rock, non-combustable, and insulate the walls with a similar fire retardant, non-combustable insulation, which is also sound deadening. I always thought we would have to use some kind of cement board, like DuraRock, but I guess he knows best.

We want to place some kind of stone onto the walls, make it look like a more naturally placed rock wall, like river rock maybe, but not whole rock as this would be too labor intensive and costly. We want an inconsitent pattern of rock, cemented onto the wall, not the square patterened tile like rock.

Questions:

Is there a “best” material we need to consider for the sheetrock, or wall covering?
Is there a company we should check for to find stone/rocks for jobs like this?
Do they make cut in half rocks, real rocks?
Is there a specific cement that works best for heated areas?

Oh, and would a round ceiling support be better than a square, or does it matter?

Thanks!

Will this be for the Kuma?

For a good bond, cement board is usually used and the lighter-weight variety, Durock NexGen is safe with some insulation value. As long as the stove's clearance requirements are met or exceeded, there is no need for extra insulation or worry.

It's quite common for the "rock wall" to actually be rocks made of cement. This allows them to be created as a veneer. A good product will look quite realistic.

The difference between a round or square ceiling support box is aesthetic. Choose the one you like the best. The exception is if this is a cathedral ceiling with no attic. In that case, the cathedral ceiling support box will be square.

Will this be for the Kuma?

For a good bond, cement board is usually used and the lighter-weight variety, Durock NexGen is safe with some insulation value. As long as the stove's clearance requirements are met or exceeded, there is no need for extra insulation or worry.

It's quite common for the "rock wall" to actually be rocks made of cement. This allows them to be created as a veneer. A good product will look quite realistic.

The difference between a round or square ceiling support box is aesthetic. Choose the one you like the best. The exception is if this is a cathedral ceiling with no attic. In that case, the cathedral ceiling support box will be square.
We’re getting the Aberdeen with pewter door. The door is my choice, a pricy one but looks good and I like it!

Durock NexGen, ok. I will tell my contractor. The insulation is for added protection and sound deadening; it won’t take that much, so I figure the better we do it now, the least we have to worry about it later. I’m hoping to find a company that specializes in stones, rocks for walls, but not found anything around Pensacola, yet. Like finding a stove, this will be the next challenge.

I think I like the round look for the support. We’ll see what the Hearth contractor says about this tomorrow, also what brand of pipe he recommends. Being right near the salt water, about a 10 min walk away, I would think it would have to be a really good stainless pipe.

Thanks!