Building your own wood burning boiler or heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie Bunker

Jan 17, 2009
Indianapolis IN.
My dad was telling me that instead of buying an expensive 5-10 thousand dollar outdoor boiler you could build
your own right on the ground from block & line it with the fireplace ceramic or what ever you call it & then
plumb it with your lines. Has anyone done this ? thanks Arch.

A mechanic from work built one last August based on a Johnson. He changed a few minor things, but basically copied the Johnson. With last fall's steel prices he spend around $3500 in material alone. In talking to him the other day, he figured current pricing would have saved him close to $1000...

He had the cylinders rolled for him, but other than that he did the rest of the work himself.

I just found this forum and wish I had spent more time on the computer before I built my own system. It has heated my house for the past 3 years but could be a lot more efficient. My total cost for everything including an 14x22 addition to my shop was less then $3500. But I've been collecting parts for it for quite a long time and I got the steel building free(I worked for a convenient store chain and when they replaced a store they gave me the old building for taking it down) The boiler is an old anhydrous tank and a smaller tank inside for the firebox,the pump and heat exchanger cost $25 used.My largest expense was the concrete which cost about $1300.
I am going to modify my boiler to make it more efficient and have found a lot of good info on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.