Buildup on Doors of Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazydoctorbob

Dec 26, 2007
Long Island New York

I get a buildup of baked on soot everytime I use my Regency fireplace insert. This is in spite of the air wash system. I'm burning seasoned wood. I keep the draft open fully for the first 30 minutes after starting the fire and then close it all but a half inch from fully closed.

Any ideas ?

Bob,
Welcome to HearthNet.

Do you have a thermometer for the Regency, and if so, where is it positioned, and what temperatures are you running the stove at? Also, what type and for how long has the wood been seasoned. Also, do you get dity windows during your daytime burns, or just overnight? Overnight can be expected, and is not as big a concern as daytime.

You may need to run her a little hotter, and leave the air open a little more. Have you observed the stove burning, and do you have nice secondary combustion flames on the top?

There are quite a few Regency insert owners on here, I am sure some of them will chime in soon enough and give you their experiences.

Where on the Island are you?

-- Mike

crazydoctorbob said:

I get a buildup of baked on soot everytime I use my Regency fireplace insert. This is in spite of the air wash system. I'm burning seasoned wood. I keep the draft open fully for the first 30 minutes after starting the fire and then close it all but a half inch from fully closed.

Any ideas ?

Do you have the I3100? I have that model and have the same problem. I run my air full about 75% of the time and still there is a build up on the glass. I do have an area that is partly clean in the middle of the glass, but its pretty dark on the outside edges.

Anyone that has a clean glass on the Regency that burns it full time must have some kind of magic wood ;-P

Shipper

I'm in Levittown.

Thanks for you input.

I don't have a thermometer on my insert. Didn't come with one. Where would it be placed ?

I'm burning wood which I'm told is seasoned. Don't have a moisture meter. It's my first load. Maybe I'll try another supplier.

I have been running the stove with the damper almost at the minimum once the fire gets started and the blower thermostat cycles on. I get this stove really cranking and run it for as long as 12 hours or more. I do get a secondary flame when I shut the damper.

I tried experimenting last nite and ran with the damper fully open and the buildup didn't happen. However, as soon as I closed the damper, even 1/3 of the way, I could see the discoloration starting at the edges.

It seems I souldn't have to run this thing fully open all the time.

By the way, the instructions that come with the insert say that you can't run the fan with the damper fully closed, that it must be out at least half an inch. Does anyone know what that's all about ?

Could you tell us what model it is? I have the Regency I3100 and it doesn't have a damper. Just air control and if your getting 12 hours of burn out of one load your beating the Helo out of me. I get maybe 5-6 hours and that is with the air all the way closed and then only have coals left.

Shipper

I have the Regency Warmhearth, and have just recently come up with a strategy that keeps the glass quite clean except for some white (fly ash?) residue. My thermometer is centered just above the glass door.

1. Air control all the way open, start fire with a few small pieces.
2. Wait until it is burning very well (30 minutes?)
3. Pack the firebox quite full, with the long axis of the logs parallel to the sides of the box (aka North South) Try not to block air flow to window.
4. Keep air control open, fan on low, until temperature reaches 500 or 600 degrees (really cranking, lots of flames -- it may take up to an hour to get to this point)
5. Close air control to 40% for 5-10 minutes
6. Close air control to 90% closed (or 100%)
7. Put fan to high if quick heat is needed.

Not sure which steps are most important, but I think that having the air control open until the moisture is cooked out is the significant part.

In the past I've had less wood in the box, and left the air control more open, but had to clean the glass each day.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Bob,
I have the same stove as you do and I do essentially the same steps as Warmguy, except I don't usually close it down as far as it goes. My wood is seasoned by me, one row in the sun and wind all summer, so I know it's dry. My glass stays quite clean except a 1/4" around the edges and I usually just take a damp cloth to it before I fire it up for the day.

Even though the seller said your wood was seasoned, many on here have found that "seasoned" wood is not ready to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.