Buildup on Glass - Hardwood vs. Softwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defield

Nov 21, 2008
South Central Maine
I would be interested in your observations about buildup on the glass when burning hardwood vs. softwood pellets.

When burning hardwoods, Barefoot, Lignetics, and Maine Woods ( Athens), the buildup on the glass is quicker, heavier, and reddish brown in color and harder to remove.

When burning softwoods, LG Granules or Okanagans, the buildup is less, pretty much vacuums off as opposed to scrubbing with Rutland Glass Cleaner, and is lighter grayish in color.

Have tried adjusting the air some, but could do more.

Want to burn a mix of Barefoot and Okanagans next season, but the Barefoots really leave a deposit on the glass.

Observations, thoughts, ideas??

Thanks,

Ranger

Ranger,

I have noticed similar results from most of the hardwoods. Some even left black sticky stuff on the glass even though the burn was almost a white ash. Except the solid Oak pellets like Turmans and Cubex. Of all the hardwoods the Oak seem to burn the cleanest. See if you can find a few bags, Just to confirm what I found.

I wonder if its from some of the sappy hardwoods? Sugar maple maybe???

jay

sure...use Okanagans.....not much deposit on glass......good heat, low ash.....why mix it?

i dont get a big build up on the glass with the barefoot . but i agree with jtakeman turmans seem to be one of the cleanest pellets . must be it 100% oak.
also i never used any cleaner on the glass other than windex.

smilejamaica said:
i dont get a big build up on the glass with the barefoot . but i agree with jtakeman turmans seem to be one of the cleanest pellets . must be it 100% oak.
also i never used any cleaner on the glass other than windex.

The 7 cleanest pellets I have tried to date in order are.

Dragon Mountains
Spruce Pointes
Okanagans
Cubex
PureFire
Tie between Turmans and AWF

4 softies and 3 hardwoods.
Just FYI

i've been burning oakies now for almost 2 weeks and the burn awsome.very little ash and easy cleaning the glass with a soft bristle brush
i burn about 1+1/3 bags for a 24hr burn on settings of 3/5
cleaned stove yesterday and after vacuuming hopper figured i would try some barefoot.

heavier deposits of ash on the glass so i had to use windex.
24 hr burn used 2 full bags at 3/5

do hardwoods typically burn faster or can i change up my lower three settings which are 5/4/1 to combat the higher pellet consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.