Built a hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlord1169

Nov 19, 2011
Central, CT
I built a hearth using 2x4 on end with 1/2 inch plywood, 1/4 hardie backer, 1/4 morter, with porceiln tile. A Mt Vernon AE is what I'm running. Any input would be great.

Attachments

• hearth tile.jpg
    hearth tile.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 352
I used 3/4 Plywood with 1/4-inch backer board on top I cut 8" angles on both front corners and glued together with one large tube PL construction adhesive. Then wraped the front and sides nailed with 4d finish nails Molding from bottom to slightly higher to allow for tile. Then Spray painted Molding with Flat black fast dry paint. Then installed 12x12 porclien tiles (stronger then ceramic) that I precut using again just one large tube PL construction adhesive all PL was smoothed out with 1/4" notched cheap trowel to glue down tiles. I now have 350lb Stove on plus pellets no problems at all. Simple and easy. No grout No thin set No tile adhesive. Did it in one hour built right on top of two a frames. Built it after I saw what the premade ones cost . . I am in the constuction business so it was simple cost effective. Roughly 1 1/2" thick when completed. Maybe $40-50 in material. Didn't see the need to go any thicker and will never seperate with PL adhesive and strong enough to support stove. I would post pictures but can't figure this forum site posting pictures problems.

JIBLANE said:
I would post pictures but can't figure this forum site posting pictures problems.
I know we would all like to see more pictures. What part is getting you hung up. I can probably walk you through it.

Other sites I just hit browse go to my Pictures and click on the picture this site keeps telling me my size is to big the picture size of course. I must be missing something cause I tried and don't understand all this resizing stuff so I just don't post pictures. If its done on other sites I'm not sure why it's different here ? It's so easy most everywhere maybe I am doing something wrong I guess.

I imagine they keep the picture size down so that their server storage doesn't get out of control. I use this free program. It's a little overkill but you can resize a picture in 3 or 4 steps.

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

1 - start the program and file -> open your picture

2 - go to image -> resize and whatever the larger of width/height - change it to 1300 or less.

3 - go to file -> save as (make sure you don't over write your original) and type in a new name, select JPEG if necessary and save the new picture on you PC.

4 - then load that picture as an attachment

Note that there is a limit to the size of the total number of pictures per post so you might want to go smaller than 1300 if you want to put several pics in one post. To post more than one pic per post pay attention to the note "To attach more than one item click preview after choosing a file"

Let me know how it goes...

If you have Windows. Use Windows paint to resize them. I normally do 1200x800 to make sure they fit. This site does not like large attachments unless you have a web based album (I guess, I dont know how to paste LARGE pics either). But there are stickys at the top of the page to help you out. I used to use Picassa to downsize. I now just Edit using Windows paint.

Nice. That should hold up whatever you put on it. I built something very similar. Except I squared my tiles with the back corner 'cause I am too lazy to make all those cuts. And I slapped some oak trim on the front for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.