Built a woodshed today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj425

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2011
North Pole Alaska
Finally stopped being lazy and decided to build a woodshed on my day off today. It is 16 feet long 12 feet deep and 10 feet tall @ the front and 7 in the rear just got to get the roof put on and get some pallets for the bottom but ill save that for another day.Should hold quite a bit of wood. Now I just got to decide if I want to relocate my existing piles into it or go get new wood to fill her with.

483994_10150955117232266_1399054761_n.jpg

Nice shed! I need to add on to mine. It was an old shed I am using for wood now. Most folks on here would say me the dry stuff you have into there and stack the new stuff in the sun and wind to dry. Looks like you will get quite a bit in there. You will enjoy not messing with tarps.

Now I just got to decide if I want to relocate my existing piles into it or go get new wood to fill her with.

Is that even a question? Go get more wood! ==c

Awesome looking shed, how did you make those footers?

Very nice, makes sense to have a few bays in which to use one while filling the other.
I ll start a thread with photos of mine

Probably not will probably stack to 6' don't want to stack to far over my head looking forward to not using tarps anymore that's for sure!

Is that even a question? Go get more wood! ==c

Awesome looking shed, how did you make those footers?

The footers are adjustable pier blocks we have permafrost less than 3 ft below the surface where this sits so sono tubes or poured footers are not an option due to the freeze/thaw cycles too many settling issues this way of it does shift up or down at any corner I just have to adjust the bracket to level it back Out. This is a very common building method up here when dealing with permafrost.

"looking forward to not using tarps anymore that's for sure!"

Same thing I told myself in fall of '09.
Built the shed spring of '10.
It's life changing, I tell ya'.

Nice bsj. I say put the dry stuff in the shed. It usually works out much better drying the wood outside then moving it into the shed. Yes, it is more work, but that is the way with firewood. We usually move our wood inside sometime in October.

Is that pine that's been stained, cedar, or something else? looks nice.

have fun fillin' her up.

It is pressure treated lumber for all of the structure and just reg 2x4 for the roof stringers since they will be covered I got the Roof done today and finished the bracing support just need to add pallets on the ground and fill her up!

558183_10150957048537266_1917758490_n.jpg
311667_10150957002207266_548020058_n.jpg

Still debating if I want to add some T11 to the back/ sides or leave it open. We get ALOT of snow up here and sometimes it snows sideways and blows so there are drifts I know I wont get as much air flow for drying but its a trade off perhaps some lattice to keep most of it out and still allow flow Im undecided. But that can be added later I just need to fill her up! Should hold around 9 cord

Reactions: Billybonfire
and no its not crooked its just the way I was holding my phone when I took the 2nd pic

Looks good BSJ, did you biuld that in one day? Whats your plans for stacking wood, pallets on the bottom?

Nice job on the shed! If it was me I wouldn't add the T-111 siding to the shed. I would rather do something like pressure treated deck boards on the sides and back with spacing between the boards of around 5-6". This way you have something to stack against and you still get airflow through the wood. Just my 2cents worth.

Still debating if I want to add some T11 to the back/ sides or leave it open. We get ALOT of snow up here and sometimes it snows sideways and blows so there are drifts I know I wont get as much air flow for drying but its a trade off perhaps some lattice to keep most of it out and still allow flow Im undecided. But that can be added later I just need to fill her up! Should hold around 9 cord

It snows here as well (well maybe not last year . . . you guys seemed to get the lion's share) . . . I went with a board and batting look minus the batting . . . it offers air flow through the back and sides, but keeps the bulk of the snow from drifting into the shed.

I too would rather put boards on the sides with a gap between them. Wind can certainly be a problem in your area but leaving a 1-2" gap shouldn't pose a big problem.

Nice shed.
You will see how the snow drifts around it this winter & add sides &/or a back wall if needed.
If you were in my area where we get strong winter winds, I drive in a few "duck bills" & anchor the corners.
Big wing there ;)

+1 on the tarp thing, soooooo much better than tarps :)

Move the wood, you're still having lots of daylight.
Easier to get wood from the wood shed all winter & any rain until the rain changes to snow won't get on this burn season's wood.
Also, wood won't dry as fast in the shed stacked tight, the middle rows will have a bit more moisture. Put your seasoned wood in there & smile every time you get wood this winter form the new shed (NO TARPS to fight) ;)

Nice! like bogy dave said, make sure it is fastened down good. I've never seen anyone screw the metal to rafters like that. Usually you put purlins on the rafters. I think it will work good for a wood shed though and save a few bucks.

Nice work BSJ. Maybe you could partially covering the sides. Maybe you could somehow cover about 50%.? Leaving evenly spaced openings for air flow. Especially if placing your dry wood in there, you want to keep it dry. This is what I do as well. Store wood outdoors, then move it under my covered porch in October. Then, stack more wood outside for next year. I am working on getting ahead now. I have about 45 face cord stacked outside right now. I need to get up to 60 face cord. That would be a two year supply even if it gets cold. Then I will be able to stay well ahead and trying to just cut/split/stack in the late fall and winter. So much nicer to work on it when it is cool and no bugs.. Shed looks good man.

Nice looking shed ! Im in the samae boat as you are, no more tarps for me either !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.