1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Built in carry handle

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by SmokinPiney, Jan 20, 2013.

1. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    Grabbed this split out of my stack tonight and it made me laugh. I remember the day i split that stuff up. Had all sorts of hooks and nails in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Hit any nails cutting it?
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    How about this one. I just got the Lee Valley catalog yesterday. My camera washed out the pic a little, it is a great photo otherwise.

IMG_2648.JPG
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I have a pail full of nails, screws, brackets, eyebolts, and bullets I've found in trees. Even found some railroad spikes in a big ash I cut several years ago.....have yet to run into that stuff in the stacks.....

I've even found money in a tree (a penny that a homeowner put in a cut-off when he cleared the land to build his house)......it was dated 1942.

Its crazy what you can find in trees....
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I see an old tiller-lug tire on that tractor....what kind is it? Looks like a Panzer tire....
  6. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I built an osage selfbow from a log that had a bullet in it and shot a deer with that bow. I thought is was pretty cool and often wondered if the bullet took a deer too - or maybe missed??

Near my place on Mason Rd. near Howell there is a tire in a tree more than 40' off the ground and completely through and through on a large(12-15") branch trunk. Above it is another 15-20' of tree, branches and whatnot that completely precludes anyone from placing it even if they could get up there. It is right near the roadside and I drive by and wonder about it a lot. I think it may have been a stray tire that fell off a vehicle but not sure a sapling could grow through a tire and lift it?? Possibly someone placed it on a small tree and let it grow. Either way, it has been there a long, long time and there is certainly a story. I will try to remember my camera and get a pic to post. I am pretty sure it is an elm or ash so eventually she is coming down.
  7. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    Swagler, luckily i didnt but just in case, i threw an older chain on when i cut it up.

Scotty that actually the back tire on my yamaha grizzly. It's an itp 589 but i wish i could fit some tiller lugs on that thing. It would be unstoppable lol.

Bob, that's a great story!
    ScotO likes this.
  8. Brewmonster

Brewmonster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central NJ
    With all due respect, that doesn't happen. Trees don't "lift" anything as they grow.
  9. BobUrban

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Brewmonster - I agree but it is there and there is no way that it could be placed there due to the amount of branches above it. I have no clue how it got there but it HAD to grow up with it on the branch becuae it is there??? I will try to get a photo and maybe identify some clues. I have only driven by it about 500 times and always wonder the history. I have never stopped and looked but it is clearly there and got there somehow??
  10. BobUrban

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Ok - I have pics. I will start a new thread so as not to take this one over but it is there, real as sunshine!
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Smokin, that is one of the new hybrid trees; a hookered tree.