Built in carry handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
Grabbed this split out of my stack tonight and it made me laugh. I remember the day i split that stuff up. Had all sorts of hooks and nails in it.

DSC00572web.jpg

DSC00570web.jpg

Hit any nails cutting it?

I have a pail full of nails, screws, brackets, eyebolts, and bullets I've found in trees. Even found some railroad spikes in a big ash I cut several years ago.....have yet to run into that stuff in the stacks.....

I've even found money in a tree (a penny that a homeowner put in a cut-off when he cleared the land to build his house)......it was dated 1942.

Its crazy what you can find in trees....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I built an osage selfbow from a log that had a bullet in it and shot a deer with that bow. I thought is was pretty cool and often wondered if the bullet took a deer too - or maybe missed??

Near my place on Mason Rd. near Howell there is a tire in a tree more than 40' off the ground and completely through and through on a large(12-15") branch trunk. Above it is another 15-20' of tree, branches and whatnot that completely precludes anyone from placing it even if they could get up there. It is right near the roadside and I drive by and wonder about it a lot. I think it may have been a stray tire that fell off a vehicle but not sure a sapling could grow through a tire and lift it?? Possibly someone placed it on a small tree and let it grow. Either way, it has been there a long, long time and there is certainly a story. I will try to remember my camera and get a pic to post. I am pretty sure it is an elm or ash so eventually she is coming down.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Swagler, luckily i didnt but just in case, i threw an older chain on when i cut it up.

Scotty that actually the back tire on my yamaha grizzly. It's an itp 589 but i wish i could fit some tiller lugs on that thing. It would be unstoppable lol.

Bob, that's a great story!

Reactions: ScotO
Brewmonster - I agree but it is there and there is no way that it could be placed there due to the amount of branches above it. I have no clue how it got there but it HAD to grow up with it on the branch becuae it is there??? I will try to get a photo and maybe identify some clues. I have only driven by it about 500 times and always wonder the history. I have never stopped and looked but it is clearly there and got there somehow??

Ok - I have pics. I will start a new thread so as not to take this one over but it is there, real as sunshine!

Smokin, that is one of the new hybrid trees; a hookered tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.