Bulk delivery (not bags) in Western Massachusetts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southriv

Sep 1, 2008
Western MA
Hi,

New to the site & my first post. We live in Western MA (Conway) and many, we are doing a complete revamping of our heating system.. This fall, we are starting with installing a Viessman oil burner to replace our 30+ year old system, but to drastically reduce our use of we are looking seriously at also installing a wood pellet boiler next year. However, as we are nearing retirement age (with plenty of back issues), the labor involved in pellets (bags) has become a big concern. What we do see that we like is the European systems –bulk delivery, no bags, etc.

Our house (old with stone wall, gravel floor cellar) does not have a bulkhead and it is impractical ($$$) to put one in. However, it is 25 feet from the road and down 6-8 feet from the road grade. I think it is an ideal setup for bulk delivery. The basement, though a nice space, is damp in the summer (dry in winter) and takes on a few inches of water in the spring for a week or so. I am thinking of an outdoor storage solution (silo) for most of the material. A transfer to a smaller, inside hopper during heating season would move the pellets along (by augering).

Our thought was to buy a metal silo that would not overwhelm the house – 6' diameter and 12 feet to the top would hold about 190 Cu. Ft. I'm not sure what that translates to in tons of pellets. Our house is 2200 sf and uses about 800-850 gallons of oil (old, old boiler). I'm guessing a silo would need two deliveries (?) in a season. Anyway, any recommendations/experience as to the viability of this storage solution (pellets gaining moisture, etc) and the availability/practicality of bulk delivery in our area would be appreciated

Thanks,

Bob

southriv said:
We live in Western MA (Conway)

Well if you really want to put the Silo in Western Mass ( VS Central Mass where Conway is) you could install it at my house and I would be glad to use it for you!! :)

[quote0 hold about 190 Cu. Ft. I'm not sure what that translates to in tons of pellets.
Thanks,

Bob[/quote] I can tell you that one ton of pellets would be 50 cubic feet. 40 lb. bags are 1 cubic ft. ea. and there are 50 bags to the ton.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the size silo I'm looking at will hold in excess of 3 tons. I'll give Pelletsales a call, too. Rather than rush into this whole thing this year, I'm going to first get my oil system, (which will hopefully become my backup next season) in order first and attack the pellet system next. My heating contractor is a good friend and has been a Veissman fan from when they first started importing. He's intrigued by the European pellet boilers. I understand that no one seems to be able to get any kind of commitment as to when/if the Vitolig 300 pellet system will be coming to the U.S.

Just so anyone out of region doesn't get confused: Berkshire, Franklin, Hampshire and Hampden county = Western Massachusetts (Wikipedia, etc.). Worcester county = Central Massachusetts. All the rest = Eastern Massachusetts.

Bob

it was less expensive for me to buy a truckload of bagged material -- have the local feed mill pick up 6 ton and bring it back in another bulk truck to load into the silo

Status
Not open for further replies.