Bulk Hopper Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ididarod

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2010
Central MA
I'm thinking about building a bulk storage hopper with auger feeder to an existing PF100, wife can't handle the 40lbs bags andI'm looking for a simple solution. I'm not sure it needs to be fully automatic but it would be cool. I could load the hopper from bags manually and then just use the auger to move it into the hopper on the pf100 as needed. Looking for ideas on what others might have done, plywood, sheet metal, etc. I found one auger for about $280 plus shipping but its 12 ft long (maybe I can cut it) The motor looked huge, it was from a farm application. I did get one price for a new hopper with the auger and level switch for about $950, the auger on its own was about $550. Not bad compared to the Harman Bulk Feed Fuel Bin that retails for about $1450 which is really overpriced.

What have others done?

Do a Google search.... lots of info on how they do it across the pond where this is pretty much the norm...

check iburncorn.com. lots of info from the corn site, and the guys are just as helpful there as the pellet guys here...good luck, and merry christmas to you and yours.

I'd personally tell you to get the Harman Bulk Hopper... 1450 sounds overpriced, untill you assemble a 1000 bucks worth of different parts and hassle over assembly making your own. I've put a couple of them together and they work great. It's a pretty easy assembly, and the fully automatic (and sealed from extra air draw which could shut off your differential switch on a homemade rig) features make it worth while IMHO. That and a wtty to fall back on if something craps out on you.

I wish I could use the Harmon bulk storage unit but my furnace location does not work. I need to move the pellets up about 12 feet so can you tell me where to find the 12 foot auger ? I have been considering a vacuume system but I know an auger is better. I don't mind a manual on/off from a bin to a bucket I could dump in the hopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.