Bulk pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoogy

Mar 22, 2008
vermont
Thinking of buying my pellets for next year in bulk bags. I have the space to do this. Just wondering what is going to be the easiest way to load them in the stove. My central boiler has a 10 bag hopper. I know i can load a five gallon pail and dump them in. but thinking of using a wet dry vaccum. Does anyone have any ideas on how about going and doing this.

I move my corn using a simple grain shovel or that style plastic snow shovel. It is almost easier than using a vac or similar as long as you are storing in a lower location than where you are unloading from. I have a bin in the basement against the wall inside with a casement window. A simple trough made up of plywood sticking through the window a tad and setting on the sidewall of the truck does the deed. With corn off the feedlot like I sometimes use I have a section of the bottom open and covered by 1/8" mesh screen to drop out the fines. You may benefit fron something similar depending on how dusty your pellets are.

i was thinking of going with the cron vac system or similar because of the pellet fines. Where i am going to store my pellets is on the same level as my pellet boiler. I have a shed roof of the side of my garage. It is enclosedarea that is where i store my seven ton of pellets. I have had sixteen ton in there before. was always buying pellets when i had the extra money. I am gald i did as this year i didn't have to purchase any. The pellets that i am burning this and last year have a lot of fines in them. And i think with all the moving them around going with bulk that there is going to be more fines not sure. would like others that have gone to bulk pellets to say what they use .

Thanks Scott

Hello

Wood Pellets in Goffstown NH who provide bulk deliveries to customers are currently working on a generic automatic filling system.

I talked to their sales engineer last year and he said the "future transfer systems" metioned below is code named "Magic Bucket"

Maybe someone can call and see how much more progress they made on that this year??

http://www.woodpellets.com/services/bulk-delivery.aspx

Tired of tearing open plastic bags? Bulk pellets are delivered naked! We deliver them to a storage container in your garage, basement, or outside. You can fill a bucket from the storage container with just the weight you want to carry, and no plastic bag to throw away. Bulk delivery also allows for future transfer systems that will move fuel from your pellet bin to your heating system.

Also Harmon makes a 1400 lb auto feeder for their pellet boiler. That may work for yours also?

Link to Bulk Hopper Brochure
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/brochures/BulkHopper.pdf

Attachments

• BulkDelivery.jpg
    BulkDelivery.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 249
Status
Not open for further replies.