bulk pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty

Nov 30, 2011
Maritimes p.e.I
has any one out there ever gotten pellets in bulk, it apears to be cheaper, just wondering about the mess in an unfinished basement, dust etc regards wade p.e.I

oldmountvernon said:
lol so your gonna have them just pump pellets into your basement and have them in a pile ?
no was going to build a large container lined with plastic to keep the dust down &a shoot to trans. Into the container just came from a business in town who has 7 TON in one container he has a pellet boiler just asking

I've seen some pellet storage containers you can hang in your basement from frame work. They're made out of canvas etc. I would imagine if you had one of those close to a cellar window so the pellets frm the bulk truck don't travel too far into your basement, the dust wouldn't be so bad.

I've also seen plans for building a bin out of 2x4's and plywood that you can set uo an auger feeder to. Just search it on the web. They're available.

I've always wondered about the quality of bulk pellets. I don't think they're Okanagan quality or the like.

Mega sacks for corn (farmers have them) or plastic barrels work good for storage, I miss the pellet farmer coin op days!

Attachments

• 100_0857.jpg
    100_0857.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 639
oldmountvernon said:
thats an idea i havent thought about interesting could maybe install some sort of suction device run a feed line to load into the stove
yep a few places in the Maritimes do just that I take it is not that big in the states cost I think 230 ton Canadian true burn pellets I do belive

We have them available here but no delivery and the savings ain't that great.

I've figgered the savins ain't woth the xtra work and inconvience.

Czech said:
Mega sacks for corn (farmers have them) or plastic barrels work good for storage, I miss the pellet farmer coin op days!
that's how its done in the maritime too but it not just what a fellow wants standing next to his house

smoke show said:
We have them available here but no delivery and the savings ain't that great.

I've figgered the savins ain't woth the xtra work and inconvience.
that's what disfigured thanks enjoy this site how would I go about putting a picture on the left side under my name I know this is not the proper thread

pei click on the control panel at the top of the page then select edit avatar (your picture) and upload a photo the photo size it listed there.

smalltown said:
pei click on the control panel at the top of the page then select edit avatar (your picture) and upload a photo the photo size it listed there.

Hey he asked me :mad: :lol:

My dealer only discounts about $15/ton in bulk... not worth the hassle... but it may work for you.

I thought about this too. I remember my brother had a coal bin in his basement that held about four ton. Simple construction and if I could get a delivery of four ton, I would jump on it. His sons remember when the delivery came, they would climb in and shovel the coal into the front of the bin so it would fill more evenly.

Bill

I ordered bulk pellets once. The convenience is nice, but they are dustier than bagged pellets and as a result I had to frequently vacuum the fines off my ignitor. With bagged pellets I haven't had to vacuum the ignitor for over two years.

In my area there wasn't a price difference and if you want bulk pellets you will want to build a bin that can be sealed up. Otherwise, expect a LOT of dust to invade your house.

Once I finally sell this house and build my next (final) house I'll probably go back to bulk pellets.

pei said:
has any one out there ever gotten pellets in bulk, it apears to be cheaper, just wondering about the mess in an unfinished basement, dust etc regards wade p.e.I
Hey neighbor!
Actually both my GrandParents were from New Brunswick.

Check this link below:
http://www.heutzpellets.com/storage.htm

May be what you are looking for.

I am not sure the savings would be great, I looked into it and my savings where not worth the logistic issues. Though my local dealer by the ton has a flat delivery charge of 30/trip. So that almost immediately makes them cheaper than any per mile charge from any of the mills, even with their markup.

Depends on a lot of factors.

I don't use NEWP, but here is their page (I know your in PEI though):
http://www.pelletheat.com/products-a-services/bulk-delivery.html

Have you had any prices, quotes, details from your local dealers / pellet mills?

Unless you had a silo, I would be worried that a non-bagged setup would leave the pellets vulnerable to a single destructive act, like water from a burst pipe, flooding, mold, etc.

I reuse the bags for other tasks, so I like getting them that way. That and for the moment my wife veto'd a silo next to the house ;)

smoke show I've got your back!

One big problem I see at least frrom the only bulk delivery in my arae is that I would have been locked into what ever pellets the dealer was selling.

I saw this thing (see attached photo) fill a 4 ton fabric silo the other day at an open house for a local company. It worked VERY slick.

Attachments

• Pellet Truck.jpg
    Pellet Truck.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 413
I live near a nursery/greenhouse who heat with bulk pellets, they have a large metal silo in front and the system is by Pellergy, they have some good info on the site about various pellet related equipment including bulk storage. They also maintain a less commercial homeowner website with additional information. There are even some DIY bulk pellet storage pics from homeowners using 2x4s and plywood.

The Local Rec also has a silo for pellets.

I looked at it but decided to stay with cord wood.

Most people here seem to have stoves rather than boilers, makes much more sense for boilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.