Bulk ventilated firewood bags? Good or bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eric Minnis

Dec 25, 2020
NC
Looking to hear of how the 1/3 cord ventilated bulk firewood bags are doing with regard to seasoning times. I burn mainly red oak that I get after storms on my farm. A few weeks ago a big poplar took out 2 beautiful red oaks (40" diameter) so I am in good supply for a while.

I'm new to a wood stove and trying to get zeroed in on how I will store my firewood. Because I mainly have red oak- I do not want to slow the time it takes to season as I hear it can be lengthy. I currently stack in double rows, top covered on a hilltop with good sunlight and wind off the ground. I have access to pallets and would like to try these bulk bags if they do not hinder the seasoning process. The idea of grabbing a bag with the tractor and filling it as it comes of the splitter certainly sounds efficient.

Appreciate input from those that have experience with the vented bulk bags.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I have seen them on two youtube channels I follow, may want to check them out. Eastonmade wood splitter channel and Back 40 firewood channel both experimented with them.

I always wanted to try these since I can get plenty of pallets locally to put the bags on. Easy enough to move 1/3 cord of dry firewood with the tractor in one of those bags. Trouble I had was trying to find an affordable source for the bags.

I purchased 10 of them from Shaver Equipment in PA. Figured I would give them a shot and try 3 methods:

1) Traditional stack with just the top covered and off the ground
2) Bulk ventilated bags
3) IBC tote with the top covered

I do have an open shed that I put this under but was trying to keep it where it got better airflow and sunlight. The shed gets very little sun.

I've scoured the internet and have seen the videos on youtube but have yet to find actual users that say the vented bags season as fast as any other method. We have most all red oak/ white oak around here. First winter in the new house and I'd love to have the ability to burn some of our wood next year. I know it will be a challenge.

Reactions: mcdougy
Look into IBC totes. More robust and long term solution.

The IBC totes are just really hard to get around here inexpensively. I think for the first few years I will be collecting as many as possible.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I too would prefer a load of IBC totes, but the nearest port that would have them in any quantity is 4-8 hours away.

Another vote for IBC totes if you can find them. I want to purchase a couple to put my hunks and chunks in leftover from splitting the odd sized pieces of wood. Around my area, they can be had for under $50, but almost every one of them comes with the plastic insert and I'm waiting for someone to just sell the metal frames. I know I can easily deal with the plastic, but I have no use for it (even as some kind of wood pile cover) so it would just be more trash to have to deal with.

Another vote for IBC totes if you can find them. I want to purchase a couple to put my hunks and chunks in leftover from splitting the odd sized pieces of wood. Around my area, they can be had for under $50, but almost every one of them comes with the plastic insert and I'm waiting for someone to just sell the metal frames. I know I can easily deal with the plastic, but I have no use for it (even as some kind of wood pile cover) so it would just be more trash to have to deal with.
The plastic works perfect for a lid....I believe you cut the bin on a 45 vs half to get 2 lids....check out your local farm supply, they might be able to point you in a direction of who might be using them for spray? Around here there is a bio digester plant and they give them away at no cost....I just don't have a smaller utility tractor to move them around. With the lack of frost for alot of the burn season I couldn't get close enough to the stove to make them viable with my big loader :( and it has a large hydraulic blade on it most of the winter if there's a big dump.of snow.

Well- it has been a year and I just ordered a moisture meter. I stacked wood in IBC totes, Log Lift bags, and the traditional manner. I can say that the Log Lift bags are without a doubt the fastest method. They hold 1/3 cord and I touch the wood just one time. If my meter shows they season the quickest as well it will be an easy decision.
Has anyone else had any experience with them? How are they holding up year after year?

No- those are IBC totes. I do have 5 of those and they seem to work great but I have to take the time to stack the wood as I split it. The bags I have are these:
The thing I like about them so far is that they hold 1/3 cord and I only touch the wood once before I burn it. There is no stacking, just toss it in and sit the full bag on a pallet. I split some pecan because I knew it should season in a year. I'm burning that now and it is nice and dry. I am very interested to see my red oak moisture content. Obviously, a tractor with forks is a necessity for this.
I do cover the top of all my firewood so no rain gets to it.
I'll take a picture of the 3 methods I tried. I expect my moisture meter on Monday so I will be able to compare the 3. All were from the same red oak tree, split within a few weeks of each other and received the same amount of sun/ wind.. Will be a neat comparison.

Reactions: clancey
I still would want to rig up a cover to shed snow and rain off the top while allowing air flow.

Do you put the bags on a pallet or just move them with the loops? I want to look for these again.

I use both methods. If the bag is not super stable on the pallet they tip over easy making the handles nice.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? I'm having a hard time finding the ventilated bags, but the regular FBIC bags show up easily. I found them a few years ago, but seeing your thread again makes me want to revisit the idea. Currently I have a half dozen "totes" made from pallets fastened together into an open top basket and a small wood shed.

My unimog loader is kind of wimpy especially with bucket forks. I could barely get it off my other Unimog's bed. My guess is unless I remove the bucket and install the forks closer to the front bumper I will have to use the backhoe bucket and the loops to move it. I used to buy bag of crushed gravel and coal to rebuild filter plants in similar bags, they take a long time to degrade.

The moisture meter finally arrived and I was able to check 3 different methods of firewood storage. The results are pretty cool.
My wood gets lots of sun and is on high ground where there is often a breeze. I am in central NC so we get pretty warm summers.
I took several readings from larger pieces that are on the shady side of the pile or bag. I split each piece and I took the reading from the inside. I split several pieces from each method and went with the average. All wood was from the same tree and split in December of 2020 so 1 exactly year old.
Method:
1) Covered traditional stack sitting of the ground : 15.7%
2) IBC tote stacked and covered: 15.2%
3) Log Lift Bag sitting on a pallet wood not stacked but covered: 15.4%

I think the range of readings is normal variation in the ability to measure accurately. I'd say the moisture content is pretty much identical between the 3. I am surprised I was able to get it this low in just 1 year.

Conclusion:
I plan to continue to use the Log Lift bags and the IBC totes as both are easier to manage and require less touch time. The Log Lift bag is the quickest by far as there is no stacking. Wood gets thrown straight from the splitter into the bag. The IBC takes a little longer as you have to stack it to get more to fit but they are a little more stable and easier to move with the tractor. I'm lucky that I simply pick up a bag or IBC tote and put the wood in the garage or on the patio for use.
I will not stack wood in piles anymore. It is just too much hassle to keep it covered and too much touch time.

IMG_7388.jpg

Just saw the question about the cost of the log lift bags. I think mine were about $280 for 12 including shipping. IMO they need to last at least 3 loadings for that to be a good deal. Shaver's is where I got mine.
My tractor is pretty large and when full, especially with dense wood like red oak, they are very heavy. I need an implement on the back to balance things.