Bummer, Missing out on a good score. :-( (added picture)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
There is a road project underway not far from me and the tree's(just about all large hardwood) lining the road were taken down and the wood left behind. Yesterday I asked the wood cutters what was being done with the wood they said leaving it behind for anyone to take. I drove by today and scroungers were everywhere!

Now this would normally be a great thing, BUT my wife went to visit family in Ohio and took my truck! My truck is in better shape then our car so I felt better with her taking it since she's traveling with our 4 month old. Usually I would just use my dads truck but he's out of town and my brothers F-250 work truck was getting front end work done today! I don't think my Camry will pull my 18' trailer too well! :-( I'm hoping some will still be left tomorrow when my dad will be around with his truck.

Not a big deal if I don't get any since I have about 10 cords but missing out on free, easy wood is killing me! I even put a semi-chisel chain on the 361 this morning since I was hoping to be cutting and figured the wood would be too dirty for the chisel chain. I know you guys will understand my disappointment with this.

I feel your pain! :roll:

Rent a Truck? The free wood will more than pay for it. If your a scrounger you can't pass up a good score, there may not be another like that for some time.

Todd said:
Rent a Truck? The free wood will more than pay for it. If your a scrounger you can't pass up a good score, there may not be another like that for some time.

Nah, not really worth that much to me, in Michigan we have pretty good options for wood. I just drove by on my way to get some beer to drink away my sorrows lol and there was still a lot around. A bunch of big stuff that people probably don't have the saws to cut it with. The guys I seen were tackling the smaller stuff instead of the big chunks with their home depot cheapo saw, the 361 will eat em up if/when I get out there tomorrow. I might grab my brothers husky 455 for my dad to run instead of his little stihl. We should be able to really do some damage then.

And if not the beer will make me forget for a little while anyway. ;-)

Don't drink all the beer today. You might need some tomorrow.

Backwoods Savage said:
Don't drink all the beer today. You might need some tomorrow.
Drink all you want, they'll make more.

Just got back from cutting, I probably cut about a cord give or take a little. Mostly white oak, ash and a few chunks of poplar(hey it was free!)

Mental note: Cutting in 90* heat for free wood isn't worth it not matter what! I thought I was gonna die out there. lol

Boy, I hear ya. Tossed my clothes in the laundry room after picking up some ash the other night and my wife came up later and asked me why I poured water all over myself.

rdust said:
Just got back from cutting, I probably cut about a cord give or take a little. Mostly white oak, ash and a few chunks of poplar(hey it was free!)

Mental note: Cutting in 90* heat for free wood isn't worth it not matter what! I thought I was gonna die out there. lol

Anyone out there cutting wood yesterday was either crazy or very hard up. lol

That was terrible. The heat alone would not have been that bad but it felt like a sauna over here. It was the third day for running the air conditioner for us this year. I turned it on around 10:30 am and we didn't turn it off until during the night. Terrible weather. I don't know how those folks down around the Gulf live in that stuff every summer.

Backwoods Savage said:
Anyone out there cutting wood yesterday was either crazy or very hard up. lol

I think I fall into the crazy/stupid category. I haven't cut white oak in the past but I can say it's way harder to cut then the red/pin oak I've cut a bunch of. I've never used my saw to cut concrete but I imagine it's similar to that. I thought my chains were junk till I cut up some ash and it cut like butter throwing chunks everywhere. Of course I was cutting rounds bigger then my 20" bar so it had a lot of surface area. Still was slow going, maybe not as slow as the 90* heat made me think it was, still slow though.

I cut a few fc yesterday to clear a roadway. In the shade and within 50 ft of the lake and a cooler of beer made it pretty tolerable. Also made for a good bonfire last night.

Here's a picture of the wood, not a large load but not bad for a couple hours in crazy heat. Closest to the camera is oak, front part of the trailer is some type of poplar/cottonwood.

When looking at the picture you can tell why lumber mills don't take street tree's, notice the metal stain in the round on the left, a few others also have stains.

Attachments

• P8180085.JPG
    P8180085.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 396
Nice haul. Don't worry the heat wave is over here and headed your way. Today I scored some Honey Locust, heavy as heck, but it was the best kind, free.

rdust, that looks great. If you are interested, I'd gladly trade you some popple or willow for that oak.

Todd, it is over with here too. Sure feels good to get rid of that sauna.

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust, that looks great. If you are interested, I'd gladly trade you some popple or willow for that oak.

Todd, it is over with here too. Sure feels good to get rid of that sauna.

Make it some seasoned ash and you could have a deal. :)

Hey, you really want some that ash huh?! It certainly would be better if we lived closer. It would be a long haul.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey, you really want some that ash huh?! It certainly would be better if we lived closer. It would be a long haul.

It's a bit of a hike but I'd know I was getting well seasoned wood! ;-) I think it would be around 80 miles one way, it would make for a nice weekend drive.

I have a bunch of standing dead ash lined up locally but I don't feel like cutting and felling tree's right now in this heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.