Bummer...new Santa Fe needs service after 1 day.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
control box installation sheet, comes with each one

Attachments

• CCF01162010_00002.jpg
    CCF01162010_00002.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 740
havlat24 said:
I put it to 7...and it makes a difference.. more heat comes out...

That's good to know and thanks for being the Guinea Pig!!!! I'm going to change mine when the time comes and see the difference. The Castile goes to 5 for 10% more and the Sante Fe to 7. Go figure! Same basic stove insert...............

I am going to ask the stove technician about these settings and make sure mine is right. Sounds like 7 should be for a Santa Fe. Well I have tried everything possible this week to get this stove going and no luck. I did the butter knife up the shoot, I opened the windows to see if the flame would get better, I put the control feed up and down and in the middle etc. I am going to guess the problem has to be in the settings.

I did not check the control box because the manual says if you open it the warranty is voided plus I could not figure out how to pop the side off. I will learn about all this on Saturday. I did not want to ruin anything is the first week.

I appreciate everyones suggestions and I have just about tried all of them, I kept thinking, this might do it but nope.

Will update you all this weekend.

balls of fire I have never seen that information you posted. It's very interesting. I guess it is only comes with replacement control box. I see it's page 2 of 2 is there any chance you could post page 1 of 2?

My Castile freestanding blue light flashes 4 times after plugging it back in so apparently I am on switch setting 4. I guess that 10% change for me going to setting 5 either shortens the interval between the augur turning on or keeps the augur turning a little longer? I wonder after changing switch positions if you should readjust the feed rate in the hopper?

havalat24 I am trying to find where it states the speed of the combustion blower slows and the convection fan increases.

Mine is also still in warranty so I won't mess with it at this point either nevertheless good information to know!!!

I sure can post page 1, I will do it when I get back in the office tomorrow as its save on the pc there. I wouldn't change to the plus 10 setting unless your feed rate slide adjustment is already all the way open and are having no issues with clinker buildup in the firepot. I believe and could be wrong but I think it only changes the on/off cycle of the feed motor.

I just checked m yQuadra - Fire Castile Free Standing and it flash's blue 4 times

Wow, by the sounds of these answers most of you would do surgery for a hang nail. How bout this........open the feed chute a little more

humpin iron said:
Wow, by the sounds of these answers most of you would do surgery for a hang nail. How bout this........open the feed chute a little more

If you re-read what the OP posted you will see that the feed is all the way open.

checked the feed auger it is all the way open,

my error. How long are the pellets, what brand. Sante Fe is pretty much bullet proof stove

I have a 2008 Castile and it Flashed 4 times from the factory...as a test I changed it to setting 5 last night, but I assume Quad had a reason for choosing setting 4. There must be some tradeoff between the settings. I run my feed rate bar almost closed and have plenty of heat from the stove, running normally on Med.
On setting 5 will I expect to get more heat (and use more pellets) so it will cycle more often? if so I'll switch back to 4!..However if the stove runs more effeciently on setting 5 i.e. more btus delivered into the room for the same amount of pellets burned than I will keep it on 5.....anyone have the answer?

Further to my last post I am including a picture of the control box where I have marked the settings I am using..

Attachments

• Castile Control Board Settings 2.jpg
    Castile Control Board Settings 2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 500
Nicholas440 said:
My Castile insert flashes 6 times.

so does mine!

Pelletqueen, you definitely DON'T want to open up the control box!!! You don't have to because it is translucent plastic and you can see the blue light flashing inside it. Or at least I hope so! :lol:

Yes by all means Pelletqueen dont try to open that control box... you cant miss the flashing light it lights up the entire area.... I think if your feed lever is open fully, and there are not long pellets caught in the chute youre going to find that it's something to do with the controller, and we're all waiting to see what solves the problem. This does help believe it or not because eventually someone else may come here with the same problem and will read these posts and it may help fix their problem as well.

Here's pg 1. Sorry for the delay, got pretty busy yesterday.

Attachments

• CCF01162010_00000.jpg
    CCF01162010_00000.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 444
balls of fire Thank you very much for page 1 !

No problem smalltown. Pelletqueen77, how did you make out with the installer? Did he fix your problem and what did he find?

balls of fire said:
.....Pelletqueen77, how did you make out with the installer? Did he fix your problem and what did he find?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know! :cheese:

Hi all,

The stove stores technician came out and not the installer, I had the stove on for him so he could see that it was barely burning and had little heat. I played dumb even though I learned alot from this post and site, and he started with putting it on high, and not much change, then he checked the pellet feeder, then he opened and closed the door, then he took all the pellets out and was feeling around the auger area, then he finally took off the side panel and moved the setting to 7. I wanted to laugh and then it started to throw out more heat and had a better flame. He thinks that the pellets from his stove store stink and the few long ones were breaking to easy. Kidding around he suggested we go through and break them in half so all the pellets are the same size.

He also checked my outside vent and agreed that I was not legal and suggested adding some pipe. So I went to the stove store today and bought a 3 feet piece of pipe so now I am 4 feet from my windows. I know this has nothing to do with the flame but now I am to code.

So summary is my pellets suck according to him and needed the setting moved to 7. He showed me how to change it back if I need to and now I realize that I dont need to open the control box. I thought that the control box had to be opened. He also gave me some cleaning tips and also told me to check for pellets bridging. He was really impressed when I told him I spent every nite all week trying to fix this and all the good advice I had gotten.

Must be a fluke thing because he said too that Sante Fe's are really good.

Oh yeh, I also went to Home Depot and bought 1 bag of pellets for fun and burned them tonight and had a great flame and great heat. Now I can compare for when I put the other pellets back in.

That's great!!!! You are now the 'Queen' of the Pellet Forum!!!! Those must be some really bad pellets! I would push like heck to get them to take them back. You don't want to struggle all winter with junk pellets that even the supplier admits are junk.

I was thinking too of complaining about the pellets but here's the catch, they were "free". You got a free ton from Quadra-fire with purchase, but it did not say they had to be good ones! I was thinking............. would it help if I burned corn with them? Anyone else do that?

I read a little about it, but I don't even know where to even get corn.

Forgot to mention, I also bought a programable thermostat at Lowe's today. I thought the one that came with it was a little chinchy. Any advice on thermostats? The installers showed us how hard they are to switch. A whole two wires. I hope we can handle that.

Cool. Just for the record though, changing the CB setting...I did make the suggestion first. "applause" :p

Here in lies the problem with many dealers...the third party installation. Nobody is accountable and the consumer suffers. Installation not to code, dealer doesn't come out and set up the stove, customer gets frustrated and the industry suffers. Thank you pelletqueen for taking the time to research and find us. we all learned something too!

Isn't great that after all of this, the tech that comes out insults you some more by saying the pellets they gave you are crap. Nice. Now magnify these issues by 1000's and you get a clearer picture of what obstacles bio-mass heating has to hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.