Bummin over my Flex King Pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Cleaned the chimney today and was pretty bummed when I took apart the T and saw this. image.jpeg

Three years old and it is peeling apart. Anyone else have this issue? I think it's time to pull this out and put something else in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had any flue fires that you know of?

The way it's kind of 'picked' up in places do you think your cleaning method could have damaged it?

The way it's kind of 'picked' up in places do you think your cleaning method could have damaged it?

That's my best guess. The bottom of the liner has some bends to it. Cleaning from the top down the brush gets a little sticky towards the bottom. It would be nice to avoid the sticky part of the cleaning but how do you avoid this and still keep that section of your liner clean?

Yet another example of why i will never install or recomend that type of liner.

It would be nice to avoid the sticky part of the cleaning but how do you avoid this and still keep that section of your liner clean?
Get a better and more durable liner

I wouldn't know unfortunately, and I hear what you're saying. I did have a local sweep tell me that with these new liners often you have to trim your poly brush a bit otherwise it'll damage it? Hopefully some of the experienced members will chime in.

Edit. And there you have it from bholler.

Do you use a poly brush?
A poly brush can do that to those liners to they are really delicate. We will not clean them anymore without the customer signing a disclaimer.

Do you use a poly brush?

Yes it is a poly brush. I bought both the cleaning kit and the liner together from chimney liner depot. I would have to imagine both the brush and liner are paired up correctly.

Yet another example of why i will never install or recomend that type of liner.

Get a better and more durable liner

What's your recommendation for a better and more durable liner?

I wouldn't know unfortunately, and I hear what you're saying. I did have a local sweep tell me that with these new liners often you have to trim your poly brush a bit otherwise it'll damage it? Hopefully some of the experienced members will chime in.

Edit. And there you have it from bholler.

When I clean top down most of liner I barely feel any resistance. If I cut the poly brush wouldn't these sections get missed during the cleaning?

Yes. Multiple flue fires can cause the liner to fail.

I thought flue fires were major events. Would it be possible to have a flue fire without knowing it?

Sounds like a really inferior liner! I install and clean several dozen light wall liners a year and have never seen this happen. Many have been in service for 10 years or more.

What's your recommendation for a better and more durable liner?
I always recomend heavy wall flex liner but i honestly feel that any liner on the market is more durable than the lightwall 2ply smooth wall stuff.

I thought flue fires were major events. Would it be possible to have a flue fire without knowing it?
Absolutly it happens all the time we see burnt creosote in chimneys often and the homeowners usually dont know. But that damage was not from a fire

Reactions: webby3650
Sounds like a really inferior liner! I install and clean several dozen light wall liners a year and have never seen this happen. Many have been in service for 10 years or more.
This is not plain old light wall liner it is the 2ply smooth wall stuff. I have seen quite a few light wall liners fail but not like that. But most of the 2 ply ones i see have fish mouths that will eventually get snagged

This is not plain old light wall liner it is the 2ply smooth wall stuff. I have seen quite a few light wall liners fail but not like that. But most of the 2 ply ones i see have fish mouths that will eventually get snagged
I've heard they are inferior, but never seen one in person. We don't use em, I think it's a gimmick! I definitely understand the concept, but the standard liners clean up so well! I never have liners that don't clean up easily with a poly brush. If it makes an inferior product, what's the real benifit? More sales in my opinion! That's it...

I never have liners that don't clean up easily with a poly brush.
You dont clean enough of them then we have a couple a month that dont clean up nicely. Usually uninsulated ones but some are insulated some are heavywall which is also smooth. No matter what the liner is people will find a way to mess them up sometimes.

You dont clean enough of them then we have a couple a month that dont clean up nicely. Usually uninsulated ones but some are insulated some are heavywall which is also smooth. No matter what the liner is people will find a way to mess them up sometimes.
I clean a bunch of them! But they are all on new high end stoves that we installed. You're right some people make a mess, but it cleans off just fine for me.

Is there a warranty on the liner covering this?

Good question. I will call CLD and repot back.
The liners and chimneys we deal with all offer lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
Where's chimney liner James? ...

I always recomend heavy wall flex liner but i honestly feel that any liner on the market is more durable than the lightwall 2ply smooth wall stuff.

Is this the flex King Heavy Duty that you are talking about? Would I be nuts to look into rigid pipe? I have a challenging install once it gets close to the stove and not sure I could make it work without the bendy flexible stuff. That said I'm in the camp of spending money once even if it's expensive.

Absolutly it happens all the time we see burnt creosote in chimneys often and the homeowners usually dont know. But that damage was not from a fire

What does burnt creosote look like? Just looking to broaden my knowledge and hope to never see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.