"Bunker" around garage wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New_b

Dec 28, 2015
Apollo pa
I am new to burning wood and to the forum. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.
So last year I put a wood burner in my attached garage. I called my agent to tell him that I did it so I would be covered of something would happen. He says that's a big no no. After doing a little reading found out that it indeed is a no no. Wish I would have did the reading first, as I debated putting it in the basement.
So my question isn't if I can put a furnace or a wood burner in there. It's if I would build a air tight cement block "bunker" around it, would a furnace overheat because it can't radiate the heat properly? I would build a 1/4 plate air tight door and lid. It would have a fresh air intake directly form outside. The cold air return and hot air would get blown in the basement or the garage if I am out there. Would it work with just a wood burner? My 100 cl burner needs to be replaced so I am in the market to buy something if I get the ok. But leaning towards the furnace. Thanks for any input

It's against the fire code to be in your attached garage. Period. If you want to create a separate room in your garage with a separate entrance to the outside or to the living space AND the walls of said room are per code for fire separation as a garage wall then you can do it.

It's about fumes supposedly which is stupid because you can have a gas furnace with exposed flames in that same garage.

Thanks I read in some circumstances, some inspectors will allow one in a garage as long as the fire box is at least 18" off the floor. I have a call into my local code enforcement found out if he will be one of them. That's why I was only asking if the furnace would work under those circumstances. If he allows I may still do it this way.

Yes, some insurance people are OK with it in there as long as its a certain distance off the floor, others its a non-starter. Weird, but seems to be the way.

Is the height 18" because some flammable fumes are heavier than air?

Yes. Same rule applies to furnaces and water heaters in the garage. Gasoline fumes, and propane, are heavier than air.

Check not only with your permitting authority but also with your insurance company. I have a stove in my 1800 SF "shop" which has three 12x12 overhead doors for driving into. Some might call that a garage. I had no problem getting a permit but had to switch insurance companies to get one that had no problem with a stove in an outbuilding. The state farm buttheads would cancel my entire policy if my outbuilding had a solid fuel heater.

My Erie agent said the same thing. But he did say if the "fire dept" deems it safe then they are ok with it. The chief called me back he said as long as I follow the manufactures min clearances I am fine. He never heard of it being a problem. Still gonna see what tge codes enforcement has to say. We apparently don't have one, he ran for another job and got it and he can't be both. We have an agency filling in till they find someone. I may be better off waiting till the new b gets hired, he/she may not know any better. I don't think me telling the codes enforcement " oh it's ok the chief said so" is gonna fly.

I appreciate everybody's input but,This thread is going they way I didn't want it too. Just wanted to know if the furnace would function properly in a confined space, not if I can put one in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.