Buried storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnmizer

Jun 19, 2008
W MT
Any thoughts on excavating a hole next to house
deep enough to place surplus propane tank, spray
with corbond (polyurethane foam) and cover.

The foam is impervious to moisture, not sure
how it would handle the weight of the bury,
but I saw it used to seal the exterior of a large exhaust
tunnel at a smelter, it could be walked on.

R value of 6.8 per inch. A manifold cover would need
to be built. The lines would be foamed at the same time..

Just a thought MM

Master of sparks has discussed that in previous threads, because he's actually done it with a solar tank. His recommendation, as I recall, is to avoid an underground tank if at all possible, since any and all heat loss is going to be wasted, vs. having your tank in living space or another building where it may actually do some good. He makes the point the you can never stop heat loss--just slow it down (if you're lucky).

A tank inside a tank with a vacuum in between and an IR reflection layer on the inside of the outer tank would prevent almost all heat loss. That would be the ultimate tank. If i won the lottery I'd build that.

I have done it with concrete septic tanks, un pressurized of course. They are easy to insulate with foam boards (inside) because they are square. Keeping ground water away from them is crucial,as it will suck the heat out quickly.

On one I used 2" foam inside, EPDM liner, copper coils, then 4" of foam around the outside and on the lid.

I'd much prefer the storage inside the building envelop so any losses are where you can use them :0 plus it is easier to modify or repair an above ground system.

I inherited this job in progress I wouldn't do another that way. Too many un controllable variables, like rain and snow.

hr

I posted this due to limitations in placing storage inside my house.

From what I now understand burying a propane tank would work,
the operational heat losses would be mitigated via sprayed foam
and the real concern would be galvanic corrosion which needs to
be addresss with sacrifical annodes. An access tower needs to
be engineered. Ground water is not a concern for my situation
but could be in other area..

I'm going to seriously look further into this, I think it has
some potential..new buried 500 gal propane tanks are about
$1700. MM

anode packages are available from the tank supplier.

If the whole tank is in a cocoon of foam wouldn't it be insulated from any dielectric potential and not need anode protection?

If it is a closed sealed systems anode protection isn't need to protect the inside. Boilers don't use anode rods, but water heaters do as they see new water and fresh O2 on a daily basis.

hr

hr, Thanks, called a propane dealer and he's going to get a extra anode
for me to put on. They just fasten with a bolt. Then coat with a epoxy
paint. Lookin pretty good so far..

The date on this tank is 1954, and I've been advised
that the flush will redefine stink..I heard chlorine bleach will neutralize the
mercaptan.

As for the plumbing part, put a drop tube on one end and
draw off the top at the other? MM

whoever invented that odorant should get a Grammy! I can smell my LP delivery guy coming from 1/4 mile away. I suspect that smell stays in Carhartts for many years :)

hr

I have ordered a EKO 40 and would like to put it in my garage. I found a 1000 gallon propane tank and would like to use it for storage, but I can't seem to find room for it above ground. Were you able to put your tank underground? Was it a success?

quinn0507 said:
I have ordered a EKO 40 and would like to put it in my garage. I found a 1000 gallon propane tank and would like to use it for storage, but I can't seem to find room for it above ground. Were you able to put your tank underground? Was it a success?

I didn't to an underground unstall, it just wasn't a good option after looking into the
total costs of everything. An aboveground tank shed would be a better option IMO.

At this point I'm planning a concrete tank in a storage
room in the basement. 1000 gallons nonpressurized. Still have the
old tank for future use. MM

Status
Not open for further replies.