burming wood pellets in fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewatcher

Nov 10, 2006
New Jersey
I know this question has probably been asked before. My buddy owns a hardware store and is switching manufacturers and offered me for free 5 bags of wood pellets. Are there any cons to burning this with my wood in my fireplace insert?

DON'T.

OK, now that I got that out, let me explain. Pellets tend to burn hotter than the same mass of raw wood, I assume because they are compressed and have binders and wax? in them.
There are several threads that mention this in the archives. I suppose you could throw a handful in from time to time along with your regular wood, but why bother?

Now, would I take the 5 free bags? Absolutely. You never know what you might be able to trade them for.......course, I'm an old pack rat, at least according to my wife... :red:

No binders in pellets, and they won't burn too hot - the problem is usually that they will smother the fire since they are designed to burn in tiny piles. But, yes, Willhound is correct that you should not try to burn them- the result will be disappointment and mess to clean up.

Webmaster said:
No binders in pellets, and they won't burn too hot - the problem is usually that they will smother the fire since they are designed to burn in tiny piles. But, yes, Willhound is correct that you should not try to burn them- the result will be disappointment and mess to clean up.

Oh. Okey doke, I know that Craig has warp 10 more wood-burning knowledge, so what he says goes. Thought I saw a thread last winter tho regarding pellets burning hotter? Or was that the old style pellets? I seem to remember pellets years ago having wax or some kind of additive to help bind them and make them burn better?

Status
Not open for further replies.