Burn Baby Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
Being that the Weather station says it "feels like" minus 20 and in an attempt to maintain high stove temps after the wood has lit off and been consumed, I am trying my hand at burning down the hot coals without the need for adding additional fuel which would be needed if left unattended to cool.

As I hear the stove “click-down” at the point where the high temps begin to diminish, I am trying to find a way to also consume the bright hot coals with an infusion of forced air. Right now I have the both primary and secondary air controls wide open in an attempt to super heat the coals that have nearly filled the firebox. It's noticeable how clean the burn is as I see the back of the stove bright orange behind the large mound of bright orange coals burn at the maximum “safe” temp as per the stove thermometer.

Running this stove reminds me of what a steam locomotive might have been like to maintain the temps needed to move that locomotion down the track. Always adjusting dials and feeding the firebox, pushing coals to make room for more wood... However in this case the destination is a heated home through a winter storm.

As I write this post, the coals are slowly reducing in size as the stove talks to me as it clicks down in temperature. I think the key to maintaining a manageable bed of coals is to listen to the stove and watch for the moment the initial load has been consumed to the point of diminishing BTU exchange and once the stove has cooled, then I would add a split or two to the offending mound in an attempt to recycle them to ash never able to achieve my goal as I keep adding “fuel to the fire”.

P1010003.jpg

Last edited:
Been experiencing the same. Need to balance the consumption of the coals along with the wood and at the same time maintain a clean burn. Just have to monitor it when giving the stove more air.

Had to laugh at the title of this thread. Daughter did a science fair project with the same name. Won at her school and placed second at regionals for 7th grade.

I am in the same boat, feel like im working on a train loading coal into the boiler trying to maximize the output without slowing the progress.Two zones in the house are calling for heat from the furnace, but the kitchen dining room and living room are at 71 or greater.

I am seriously considering a small stove for the basement fireplace in the future.

This is my pile i'm trying to burn down. Burning mostly ash and sugar maple and its leaving A LOT of ash and small coals. Raked them into a pile as wide as the doghouse air, opened the air to halfway and I got the instant blast furnace and raised my stove temp 50 degrees. Probably will end up with a monster clinker thing in front of the doghouse. I think this is where the screen for a stove could come into play. With the door open and a screen I think you could burn the coals down a lot faster than with the air open all the way
IMG_0262 (1024x1024).jpg

Last edited:
But with the door open you are sucking warm air out of the house at an alarming rate! It is definitely a balancing act when it gets this cold out to get through a complete burn cycle without adding more fuel to keep up and near impossible at times. If I am here I do the small split(s) on top of coals w air wide open to keep temps up and coals down. If I am away or sleeping coal piles happen - and part of the trade off for solid fuel heat.

I'm also opening the air 100% as soon as my needle starts to drop under 500 on the stove top and it seems like the stove stays hotter longer and the coals are being destroyed by the longer high temp of the firebox .

Status
Not open for further replies.