Burn baby Burn!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
I don't know if I should be telling everyone this, but I will anyway. My wife got a fire going today, that I have been trying for over a week to do! She called me an told me that the house was gettin cold and she was going to light the stove. I thought to myself" Ha, this'll be good!" So I walk in the house, it's toasty, no smoke from the chimney, nice bed of coals, and the secondarys are even burnin!(think she has superhuman burnin powers) It's kinda bittersweet, I now know, I can trust her tending the fire when my normal work day usaully last about 10-16hrs, but I also know, I have to really learn how to build a good fire so I can show her up! ;-)

PS. Thats why I love her!

Be thankful. You should be proud to tell people that. Better than telling people that you came home and she's burned through 1/2 facecord and your stove is on the verge of overfiring, right?

Sounds like you have a keeper?

The trick is keeping the furnace turned WAY down. That way, your wife will learn how to make a kick-ass fire because they want to get WARM! Worked for me!

My wife cant understand a thermostat. I love her to death, but unless the furnace is blowing hot air she tells me the heat is off. No matter how many times I explain how the heat cycles on and off........

My wife did the same thing last weekend while I was away racing my motorcycle.
The glass was black, I guess from a slow startup, but it was cruising (a bit hot) at 600 when I got home Sunday night.
I thought for sure she would have reached for the thermostat before messing with a cold stove. Good girl.

I'm the fire master. The better half is good at starting a fire but poor at maintaining one. She does not understand a thermostat either and I'm finished trying to explain one for the 100th time. :) Of course since we got the Englander we don't use a thermostat so my blood pressure is staying steady and low. :-D

fayman said:
The trick is keeping the furnace turned WAY down. That way, your wife will learn how to make a kick-ass fire because they want to get WARM! Worked for me!

That or take the thermostat out of the house completely ;)
congrats enjoy it while you can, it is 50/50 you cut, split, stack, and bring in the house.
She burns it and keeps you warm sounds fair to me :)

Don't be embarrassed, that is awesome! Be proud!
My BF is good at getting a small bed of coals going, but managing the air etc to get secondary & nice long burns, he does not listen to me,
he smiles and says I am cute & know a lot about stoves grrrrr.
Anyway, your lucky, a break from tending would be nice once & a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.