Burn Ban uugggg!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good thing i don't live in your part of the country, because i'am very hard headed and i hate the epa, I would be burning and the hell with them, I would end up in jail,

threepin said:
on the geo-thermal side of things- a number do offer forced air heating and cooling-in fact in order to qualify for the federal tax credit it has to have an air handling component as the credit is based on energy saver cert. and they have not gotten the fully hydro systems certed yet. It might be a good approach for the op as it offers the lowest ongoing heating cost- each watt produces (or pumps ) about 4 watts of heat, with the washington having low electric rates the resultant heat is quite cheap. Cost is dependent to a large degree on size of system and site. They are expensive but right now a lot of incentives exist- for example in my case my electric utility will reimburse $3000, the state $1500 and the feds 30% of the installed system cost. At least worth looking at. The benefit is clearly greatest for someone planning to stay in their home long term.

I'll have to check with my utility and state rebate offers because if the utility offered 3K and the fed's chipped in 3K and the state did something like 1.5-2K...wow! I think that would make the total install around 2.5-7.5K (assuming a 10-15K install that's 50-75% off). That could give a return on investment of just a few yrs... If that all checked out I could be getting a system next yr.

littlesmokey said:
Highbeam, are you in Pierce County? Looks like the County is pretty stagnant, but King County is clear to burn. How close if you are in Pierce to King County line. The air in Pierce is unhealthy, hope you and your family stay well. Airnow says it should only be through Sunday if the winds tonight don't clear things. Have a good Christmas anyway.

We blew some good air through today, we are back to Green.

Yes, I'm in Pierce County near the King county line. I can assure you that there is no wall of smoke that would justify total ban in my county and no ban on the other side of the dotted line.

I can see you have been fooled by the pollution monitor "forecasts". These forecasts always think it will be unhealthy but if you click on the "current conditions" tab you will find that the air quality never goes to unhealthy except at one or two stations deep in urban hell. I question whether those one or two (of dozens) urban stations are valid at all since wood burning is not so urban and the various other forms of particulate pollution should dominate. Our air quality, as measured at a single very close station, was never out of the green category during this whole event. I live near the Enumclaw weather station.

You've got to look deeper than the political "forecasts" to see real conditions.

Our air was quite good and I'm fed up with this system. We've been burning daily since we decided that our central heating system was not adequate. There is nothing to certify, the regs allow the homeowner to make this decision and certainly the homewoner will have to defend it.

Highbeam said:
Imagine meter maids, hall monitors, or park rangers but no guns and no real police authorization. The actual clean air agency is a gov't funded agency that has the ability to drive around and hand out these 1000$ dollar tickets for violating the bans. The folks that work for a clean air agency are likely tree huggers themselves and certainly have an agenda, they think that clean air is THE most important thing and are given a very powerful enforcement tool to use to enforce their agenda. You can bet there are lots of birkenstocks at that office. A 1000$ fine for a first offence fire in your legally installed and modern clean burning wood stove even if no smoke is coming from your chimney. I just discovered that I am now banned from burning my heritage until maybe Monday.

Great, merry freaking xmas.

Wow, the left coast strikes again. I am still not sure if we have this burn ban thing anywhere around here, but I'm pretty sure I would not accept a $1,000 ticket for keeping my house warm in winter. I burn pellets and wood and, except for start up, you can't tell from the road - no smoke, maybe steam. I've heard of burn bans for burning leaves etc., usually in summer/fall when it's dry and you could set the town on fire, I can understand that, but not this. Sounds like you need some political action out there - maybe a left coast smoke in or out? Good luck.

the left coast is the "left coast" for a reason, don't expect any sense from them, just more control...

Status
Not open for further replies.