Burn bans and EPA cert. stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyDave

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2011
western wa
here in the Pac N W we get a couple clear nice days in winter and level2 burn bans in effect ( no pellet stove use). no use even if only source of heat. Do you folks on the East coast get those also and if so how do you deal with that? ooops I didnt know, as they write the 1,000.00 ticket.

Only burn bans in CT. that I know of are for brush and camp fires. I have heard of a few out door wood furnaces get shutdown, But that was for smoke bothering the neighbors.

You really dry or is it for air quality?

DirtyDave said:
here in the Pac N W we get a couple clear nice days in winter and level2 burn bans in effect ( no pellet stove use). no use even if only source of heat. Do you folks on the East coast get those also and if so how do you deal with that? ooops I didnt know, as they write the 1,000.00 ticket.

No, that is courtesy of your state legislature's actions.

we are too close to California, and what they do our government adopts like a fart under the blankets. they say for air quality, but a 20mph breeze doesnt effect that either. we rain 8/10ths of the year so Augs, Sept is only dry fire months truly on low lands here

Vermont doesn't have any type of 'burn bans' like they have over on the west coast (as far as I know), guess that's one of the perks about rural living? There was talk a while back about regulating outdoor wood boilers/furnaces, I think much of that had to do with irresponsible neighbors in tightly packed neighborhoods not caring about other peoples air quality.

I can't believe that they could tell you that you couldn't use your primary source of heat to keep warm. Sounds like a definite infringement of your basic rights. Or maybe grounds to exercise your second amendment!

Same here, got a friend who has an outdoor wood boiler and is getting hassled.

And that is what happens when the enviro-whackos run your state. Remember THAT next time you vote. This crap keeps up and spreads I'm moving to Belize where I don't need a pellet stove and there is little of that kind of crap to deal with. RT

I'm pretty sure I would tell them to stick it since It's my only heating source.

In a level one burn ban all certified stoves are exempt even if you have another source of heat. In a level two ban, all wood burners are banned unless its your only source of heat. The funny part it they take the readings in the industrial core. Not out here in the country. I burn on as my furnace seems to be broken. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.