Burn Bans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NWfuel

Minister of Fire
We have about 15-20 days a winter that are considered Burn Ban days. No woodstove or fireplace use UNLESS it is primary heat source.

My question is do other states do the same and if so what do they call these days?

Thomas

NW Fuels said:
We have about 15-20 days a winter that are considered Burn Ban days. No woodstove or fireplace use UNLESS it is primary heat source.

My question is do other states do the same and if so what do they call these days?

Thomas

Not in Wisconsin. Out of curiosity, how does government determine "primary heat source?" Does that mean the homeowner has no other heat source or uses wood heat more often than any other heat source?

northwinds said:
NW Fuels said:

Thomas

Not in Wisconsin. Out of curiosity, how does government determine "primary heat source?" Does that mean the homeowner has no other heat source or uses wood heat more often than any other heat source?

I believe it is no other heat source available.

We have staged burn bans. Stage I happens a few times each winter. Stage II is rarer, but does happen:

Stage I. No burning is allowed in fireplaces and uncertified wood stoves, unless it is your only adequate source of heat. This includes the use of manufactured logs such as Duraflame or Javalogs. You can use pellet stoves, EPA-certified wood stoves and natural gas or propane fireplaces during a Stage I burn ban.

Stage II. No burning is allowed in any fireplace, pellet stove or wood stove (certified or not), unless it is your only adequate source of heat. You can use natural gas or propane fireplaces during a Stage II burn ban.

The operative word is "adequate". If it's ten degrees out and the heatpump can't cut it, then judicious burning is allowed. But during a stage 2 the air is pretty thick and stagnant, usually the smoke just sinks, so you're breathing your own smelly fumes.

None in Virginia. The outdoor burn bans when you might burn down the neighborhood but that is it.

I think they are more likely where the geography creates temperature inversions. These inversions are common in winter here when a weather system parks over us that traps cold air under a blanket of warmer air aloft . The local mountains create a bowl out of the Puget Sound region that traps man-made particulates. During a long-term inversion, the air can get pretty bad, especially if everyone in the neighborhood is burning. I believe the Denver/Boulder area has a similar burn-ban plan. MSG is that correct?

BeGreen said:
I think they are more likely where the geography creates temperature inversions. These inversions are common in winter here when a weather system parks over us that traps cold air under a blanket of warmer air aloft . The local mountains create a bowl out of the Puget Sound region that traps man-made particulates. During a long-term inversion, the air can get pretty bad, especially if everyone in the neighborhood is burning. I believe the Denver/Boulder area has a similar burn-ban plan. MSG is that correct?

Are you sure your name is not Steve Pool??? :) ( sorry, only people from Wa. state will get that)

Nah, he's much better looking ;-) But I've been hearing this rap for a couple decades from Pool, Wappler, Renner et al. Sometimes it sinks in. I look north over Puget Sound and can sometimes see the inversion form (unless we're deep in the middle of it). Looks like a low brown fog at times, so I'm for the burn bans.

so why did I buy a (and why do manufactures sell) phase II ( stage II) certified stoves. From what you are saying I can burn either a certified or non certified in the stage II ban if it is my only source of heat, but neither if I have another source of heat. What is the incentive of upgrading from a 20 year old stove to a new "certified" stove, other than they may burn more efficiently and may use less wood during the season. My insert is "EPA Phase II Certified", but that does me no good as I also have a forced air natural gas furnace in the garage

Sounds like the question has been answered. Hopefully, the less smudgepots there are burning out there, the less and shorter burn bans will be. Using less wood is a good thing in my book. Generally if the stove is run correctly there may be a lot less chimney cleaning too.

Remember I said that stage 2 burn bans are less common. You can still burn this stove during a stage 1 ban, The older stove or open fireplace could not.

Here in southeast Michigan I have never heard of such a ban. This in flat land lots air movement and a history of tall stack heavy industry. The Canadians east and south of us are complaining about the coal fired electric power plants all the time. In summer we have ozone action days, voluntary avoiding the use of small gas engines, BBQ's, lawn cutting,open fires, ect., No action days in winter though. Leaf and refuse burning is baned in my township, Just across the river in the next township its OK.

n/a

Status
Not open for further replies.