Burn corn or no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdh2550

Apr 11, 2014
pa
I'm seeking input on burning up to a 50% mix of pellets and corn in my Harman P43. According to the owners manual up to a 50% mix is permitted in this stove.

I've heard the corn burns dirtier and can cause some buildup of ash. I scrape the burn pot every day even if it doesn't need it. I also clean the igniter holes every other day. The last thing I want to do is harm the stove, but if I can get a little more heat out of it with no problems I might do it. A friend has offered a few bushels of corn for free to me if I want it.

You all know much more about this than I do.

Burning corn is corrosive to vent pipes so you need piping thats approved for burning corn.

Yes, type L vents are suitable for burning corn.

We recently had the Harman Accentra 52i installed. I asked the installers about corn, because the manual clearly says you can burn a 50/50 mixture. They strongly discouraged the practice because they said the corn has to be dried to specific percentage to make it a viable fuel. They also said that you will notice buildup in your vent pipe that will have to be cleaned. Last issue with corn is that it attracts critters, so you have to keep it in a sealed container that is inaccessible to critters. Let me know your experience with it if you do it. Could offer good savings.

I'll have to call my stove dealer. I know I asked them about it but can't remember what they told me, since I had so many questions at the time. If the corn is dry I will probably try it. I'll update with my results if I do

Status
Not open for further replies.