Burn it or sell it ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
I was eyeing a large, straight cherry tree on my property thinking about firewood and the guy with me thought it was worth more $ to a saw mill.
He said they don't get much bigger before dying so it should probably be cut down either way. I have more, though not quite as big.
In general, is this worth persuing or should I just chop it up ? I'm thinking no lumber guy is interested in coming for just maybe 6-8 trees.

Most loggers will not come for less than a full truckload of logs. The price of wood being sold to the mill is in the tank around here now. I would just enjoy the cherry wood smoke.

check around chery brings good around here. most mills just get a log here and there and put it back till they get a good amoun t to saw. ask the mills or loggers im sure you will gt an answer.

Brian VT said:
I was eyeing a large, straight cherry tree on my property thinking about firewood and the guy with me thought it was worth more $ to a saw mill.
He said they don't get much bigger before dying so it should probably be cut down either way. I have more, though not quite as big.
In general, is this worth persuing or should I just chop it up ? I'm thinking no lumber guy is interested in coming for just maybe 6-8 trees.

This may sound like blasphemy, but if the tree isn't dead keep it as it is. Healthy fruit trees are a blessing. I have apple and cherry trees and wouldn't think of cutting them down for firewood unless they're actually dead. If your acquaintance is just speculating that the tree "will eventually die because of its size" he's nuts. Large cherry trees can live for years. If the tree is healthy keep it that way--prune, feed and water it. You can freeze cherries and enjoy them all year.

I buy Black Ash logs for firewood and some of them are so thick and solid that I feel guilty bucking them up for firewood. They would make beautiful lumber. I would have liked to get my hands on some 16 foot Black Ash kiln dried tongue and groove for flooring when I built my house. Hardwoods were out of my price range so I settled on Pine, 16 feet long, random widths.

InTheRockies said:
Brian VT said:

This may sound like blasphemy, but if the tree isn't dead keep it as it is. Healthy fruit trees are a blessing. I have apple and cherry trees and wouldn't think of cutting them down for firewood unless they're actually dead. If your acquaintance is just speculating that the tree "will eventually die because of its size" he's nuts. Large cherry trees can live for years. If the tree is healthy keep it that way--prune, feed and water it. You can freeze cherries and enjoy them all year.
I am pretty sure he is talking about a large Wild Cherry tree here. No one I know harvests the fruit, don't think it's possible. I agree though, why cut it up if it's healthy? There are plenty of dead trees out there!

I think it is pretty healthy. I didn't notice any sign of disease or insects. I guess I'll let it be. I'm not that hard up for wood.
I'm just trying to get my pile started for next year so I don't have to pay for CSD again. Thanks for the replies.

Most old cherry are full of ants. This is my experience anyway. I have a CSM and almost every cherry I have sawn has ants throughout almost the whole thing. You can drill some holes to see if there are ants. Go over to www.arboristsite.com to the milling board and see if anyone in your area has a portable or CSM. I do this type of thing all of the time for a couple of bookmatched slabs. Cherry smells nice when you burn it. Best of luck.
Regards

I'm removing all the wild cherry on my property (and anywhere else I can get away with it) because it harbors a black fungus that infects the plum trees I've planted. (I've lost all my old plum trees ).

I've given some bigger rounds and pieces to local artists for carving. One guy wanted the real gnarly crotches. Freebie, Not a big market . :) I'd rather burn it.

They're also a favorite host of gypsy moths, here.

Brian VT said:
had one done for a friend this summer hes making cabinet's out of it got about 220 board ft cost him 175.00 to have it dried and milled hes happy with it! most the cherry i get is burned in the smoker or furance

LOL. A local guy in his 70s mills wood as a hobby. He tore up his bandsaw blade on some maple.
He just laughed because he says he now remembers him and his brother pounding those 20d nails into that tree when they were kids.

Medal detector is all it takes to find them!(found a beer can in a spilt last month)

I agree about black/wild cherry and ants, had several that they just spilled out of while being split. I dont wear my keans that have a hole just below the front pockets for this very reason, as I once got a little "surprise"!

Status
Not open for further replies.