Burn new stove outside to cure paint?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
I'm getting a 17-VL and I was wondering, is it a good idea to burn the stove a couple times outside to cure the paint so we don't have to deal with that inside? I'm worried about my pregnant wife and my lovebird, both of which are sensitive to fumes.

Lovebirds need protection. The wife you can send to the mall. Lots of folks burn new stoves outside before bringing them inside to cure the paint.

I think it's a good idea. I will be doing that when I have my new stove delivered. My wife is preggo too and I wouldn't take any chances - although probably harmless.

That is the way I do it. Stick a couple of pieces of single wall pipe in the top and go for it. You will need to keep the door cracked open because draft will be lousy with just a couple of pipe sections but it will get the job done.

I'd just hook it up inside and on a warm, breezy day (when it won't be a problem to have all the house windows open) have your first fire with all windows of the stove room open and all doors into the rest of the house closed. With my new stove the first few fires really weren't all that bad, as far as fumes go. Send your wife and pets outside for a few hours to avoid any potentially hazardous fumes. I am all for taking precautions when pregnant, but it seems like a pain to hook up the stove to a stove pipe outdoors and have a fire, and I think it is not necessary.

Wood Duck said:
I'd just hook it up inside and on a warm, breezy day (when it won't be a problem to have all the house windows open) have your first fire with all windows of the stove room open and all doors into the rest of the house closed. With my new stove the first few fires really weren't all that bad, as far as fumes go. Send your wife and pets outside for a few hours to avoid any potentially hazardous fumes. I am all for taking precautions when pregnant, but it seems like a pain to hook up the stove to a stove pipe outdoors and have a fire, and I think it is not necessary.

The lovebird is not going outside. We'll burn the stove outside first, then bring it in.

You need to realize that there will still be some smell even after the outside burn-in. As the stove reaches higher temps and as the stove pipe inside heats up.

BrotherBart said:
You need to realize that there will still be some smell even after the outside burn-in. As the stove reaches higher temps and as the stove pipe inside heats up.

Duly noted. I still think it's a good idea since it should minimize the smells. I will still move the lovebird to another room for the first few days of using the stove but at least this should get the majority of the "stink" out.

I was going to do the same thing, the wife cought me outside putting wood in the stove and, says "what are you doing?" I tell here I'm gonna build a fire. The she says "the book said not to do that because you cant tell how hot it's getting" for sake of argument the stove is inside now unburned" I should have waited until she was gone.

Leadfoot said:
I was going to do the same thing, the wife cought me outside putting wood in the stove and, says "what are you doing?" I tell here I'm gonna build a fire. The she says "the book said not to do that because you cant tell how hot it's getting" for sake of argument the stove is inside now unburned" I should have waited until she was gone.

I'd have left the thing right there in the drive and gone to the bar.

pen

joecool85 said:
BrotherBart said:

Duly noted. I still think it's a good idea since it should minimize the smells. I will still move the lovebird to another room for the first few days of using the stove but at least this should get the majority of the "stink" out.

Joe, I have a parrot. When we got the 13, I took him on a "sabbatical" to my mom's for a week. When we had the first fire we had fans in the windows of the stove room and closed off the rest of the house so the smell was not too bad. We have many sets of french doors through the house so it is easy to close up certain parts. I am not sure where we are going to do the break in fire on the 30..
If you can place the bird as far away from the stove room for about a week I think he would be ok.
Since the break in fire was not too stinky in the 13, I may just keep my bird in the opposite side of the house this time while we break in the 30.
To totally rest your mind, do you have a friend that can take the bird for a week?

GAMMA RAY said:
joecool85 said:
BrotherBart said:

Joe, I have a parrot. When we got the 13, I took him on a "sabbatical" to my mom's for a week. When we had the first fire we had fans in the windows of the stove room and closed off the rest of the house so the smell was not too bad. We have many sets of french doors through the house so it is easy to close up certain parts. I am not sure where we are going to do the break in fire on the 30..
If you can place the bird as far away from the stove room for about a week I think he would be ok.
Since the break in fire was not too stinky in the 13, I may just keep my bird in the opposite side of the house this time while we break in the 30.
To totally rest your mind, do you have a friend that can take the bird for a week?

I don't have anyone that can take her, but we will probably move her to our bedroom to keep her away from it for the first week or so even after doing the breakin fires outside.

Closed the door to the bird room here with 3 cockatiels,10 parakeets and 2 doves next to the stove room.The breakins went fine but do it outside if ya can,save ya the risk.If something happened to your baby you would never forget this day.Get out and burn that SUCKA.Take your burns really slow,mine started off slow and i kept em where i wanted with the intake but you can get impatient very easy.Get er done as 1 old redneck says.I'm sure all will be fine.Mine hardly stunk but they're not all the same.Just smelled like a hot iron and smoked a little but i don't have enamel just blackening.

pen said:
Leadfoot said:

pen

"I see. Okay, since you read the manual, and you're implying I don't know what I'm doing, you're installing it. There's the gloves, the stove is on the dolly, over there is the pipe, I'll be back in a few hours. Good luck."

BrowningBAR said:
pen said:
Leadfoot said:

pen

"I see. Okay, since you read the manual, and you're implying I don't know what I'm doing, you're installing it. There's the gloves, the stove is on the dolly, over there is the pipe, I'll be back in a few hours. Good luck."

LOL I'll bet that would have worked out real good, it's a shame I didn't think of that, it could have saved me some work.

joecool85 said:
I dunno, I think if I said something like that to my wife she would have worked up the strength of the incredible hulk and thrown the stove at me.

:lol:

joecool85 said:
I dunno, I think if I said something like that to my wife she would have worked up the strength of the incredible hulk and thrown the stove at me.

"The manual clearly states NOT to throw the stove, dear!"

I did not do breakin fires outside simply because the big strong men who delievered my stove set it right on the hearth where I wanted it, I don't know how me and the wife would have gotten it in the house, I have broken in 2 stoves indoors and had no fumes or smoke, both had an enamel paint, and it didn't hurt the OLD CROW (whiskey) ether time :zip:

For the record, my newly installed 17vl was pretty stinky during the first three fires. I did them while my wife was at work and put the puppy outside.

I know, pics or it didn't happen - they'll be up once the IT person (wife) works her magic. I can barely get online without screwing up the computer.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.