Burn ocean logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
I am on the bc coast and i can get quite a bit of free junk logs from a small saw mill operation. These logs have all been in the ocean and then on land for some time, then soaked by the heavy rains we get here. I have burned some of the wood and the flames seem to look just like burning non salt wood.

One guy said he's been burning this wood for over 9 years and has not had any damage to his excel chimney or stove.

So i was thinking of getting a few cords of this wood, what do you all think.

It certainly doesnt do it any good, but if thats what you got you still might be out weighing the replacement costs of premature failures down the road.
It would really help if you could tell the forum what type of stove you are burning it in now and chimney as that makes quite a differance.

I have a pe summit with a selkirk chimney 3 years old i heard that if the wood is dry the salt cant willy do any damge as it need lost of moisture. I also get wood form a log sort that has wood thats been trucked in from inland.

Ok I have read the threads, but how about if it is from fresh water creeks? There is alot of downed trees drying nicely off the ground and out of the creek, I am sure they are still wet in side but if I split and stack will it be ok?

Jason

FatttFire said:
Ok I have read the threads, but how about if it is from fresh water creeks? There is alot of downed trees drying nicely off the ground and out of the creek, I am sure they are still wet in side but if I split and stack will it be ok?

Jason

Just fine if you're talking about freshwater....

Freshwater shouldn't be an issue. I've burned soft maple that sat in a swampy area for a year. Once it was completely dried out, it burned fine.

I did read somewhere about bucking and splitting that salt water wood- and then leaving it out in the rain for a minimum of one year to supposedly wash the salts from it. This does sound feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.