burn pan material, steel or cast iron?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdosmer

May 19, 2008
Maine
Does the material of the burn pot make a difference? One stove dealer told me that a steel pan will corrode (from the electric igniter) in a year or two and a cast pot will last forever. Seems a little fishy but could this really be a problem? Anyone who installs/maintains stoves see this as a problem?

Cast iron will last longer, but will cost more up front. I can replace my steel burn pot liner and burn pot for $40 if needed. It's the high temp of combustion not the igniter that will eventually wear out a steel pot, not in a year or two though. I had my previous stove for 5 years with a steel pot, hardly any wear on it at all. I would look at other important aspects of the stove, like ease of maintenance, availability of parts and service, and a decent design. To me these are more important than specific materials used in the stove. A cast iron burn pot won't do you any good if you can't get a new combustion blower or control board because the company is no longer in bussiness. Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.