1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

burn pan material, steel or cast iron?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by wdosmer, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdosmer

wdosmer New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Does the material of the burn pot make a difference? One stove dealer told me that a steel pan will corrode (from the electric igniter) in a year or two and a cast pot will last forever. Seems a little fishy but could this really be a problem? Anyone who installs/maintains stoves see this as a problem?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JDenyer232

JDenyer232 Member

Loc:
    Midcoast Maine
    Cast iron will last longer, but will cost more up front. I can replace my steel burn pot liner and burn pot for $40 if needed. It's the high temp of combustion not the igniter that will eventually wear out a steel pot, not in a year or two though. I had my previous stove for 5 years with a steel pot, hardly any wear on it at all. I would look at other important aspects of the stove, like ease of maintenance, availability of parts and service, and a decent design. To me these are more important than specific materials used in the stove. A cast iron burn pot won't do you any good if you can't get a new combustion blower or control board because the company is no longer in bussiness. Just my thoughts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.