Burn Pot Cleaning <<<Best Way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BARTSFAM

Jan 21, 2009
Central MA
Hello;
I have the Enviro Milan Insert, with removeable burn pot. What is the best way to clean this properly when the deposits in it get "rock like?" A chemical? Soak the entire thing in water to soften the deposits? Right now I am using a regular screwdriver as a chisel. Are there any better ideas??

screwdriver, gasket scraper, chisel whatever works for you
I use the supplied scraper and a sharp wood chisel,
seems to get under the edge and pop the whole mess off
also it could be your stove doesnt like the pellets you're burning
since I'm burning somersets I get alot less build up

I currently use a putty knife on mine for the daily scrape out, but I an wondering about a Dremel tool w/steel brush attachment especially to clean out the vent holes well.

My build up is fairly light, but hard. I use conifer pellets.

I thought about chemicals (kerosene) or soap and water, but that may be an end of the season thing.

On my Enviro EF-2 Burn pot liner I use a Painters 5-1 tool.

It is available in any hardware store.

I use it like a flat scraper to get the loose stuff off. Then I use it as a chipper to get all of the real clinkers off the steel. Once you get the clinker loose you can really pop it off. It breaks apart like dried toothpaste as you chip away at it. I get the steel shiny in just a minute or so.

The 5-1 tool is stiffer than a putty knife and it has both a pointy side for really digging into the clinkers and cleaning out the holes, and a flatter side to scrape where the front of the tool won't fit.

Mine is about 5 years old and shows no sign if wear and tear. I use it about every three day in heating season.

Works for me and is cheap.
---Nailer---

Attachments

• 5in 1 tool.jpg
    5in 1 tool.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,066
Can’t help but wonder if all this scraping with chisels etc. is a matter of what the burn pot is made of. My experience is limited to the cast iron round pot in my napoleon. I never had had anything in my removable burn pot that didn’t just dump out when I turned it over. The burn pot has many holes in the bottom. When the stove is running, there is a draft that blows up through the pot and lifts the ash out. I can easily dust or vacuum the pot, but never any scraping. I could burn for days without any accumulation in the pot with certain brands of pellets. Just get ash all over the inside that that I won’t tolerate more than 3 days.

Attachments

• burnpot.png
    burnpot.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,156
  • stove fire2.jpg
    stove fire2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,150
I've been using an old screwdriver as a chisel too. I like Nailer's 5 in 1 tool. That could be the ticket. I also noticed on my burn pot liner that some of the holes were getting a little smaller. Found the right size drill bit and poked the holes back to the right size. I was surprised how much it changed the fire, I didn't think there was that much crud in the holes. Next time you guys have the liner out check the holes. :)

I have to admit I am a soaker. :red:

If the carbon is caked on anyway. The first thing I hit is the burnpot. If there is alot of carbon I get a bucket of hot water and a little dish soap mixed in. Let it soak until I have the rest of the stove clean. I haven't had to beat the tar out of it yet. If there is just a small amount I hit it with a old wood chisel to chip it out. I just don't believe in beatin the crap out of the burnpot. I only recommend this on Stainless Steel burnpots though!

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee
As for the holes, go to Walmart and locate the appropriate rifle brush. For my Santa Fe, the 45cal seems to work nicely. Cheap, like under $2.

Duane

magellan900 said:
As for the holes, go to Walmart and locate the appropriate rifle brush. For my Santa Fe, the 45cal seems to work nicely. Cheap, like under $2.

Duane

Now there's a good idea. My holes look to be about .30 caliber, so I have a few bronze bushes in my cleaning kit. Maybe put a brush on my drill.

My experience is limited to the same Napoleon NPS40 that "save$" has. The round burn pot only needs a brush&vac; (usually) once a week.

No matter what I burn, every burning season, I have to chisel out the carbon at least twice. Soaking in water worked, but I didn't know if it was good for the pot. I wish all I had to do was brush and vacuum out the pot.

I'm in my sixth heating season soaking. The pot still looks great. It's stainless, though.

I use the old rotary wire brush on my drill.

i have a big serving spoon (1 piece all metal) that i go in with. works good.

I've always used a wood chisel on my Enviro EF3...

Do the same on my St Croix insert...but as a secondary unit, I don't have as much build-up.

The chisel gets everything off...if there is a lot of build-up it can take a few minutes...but it does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.