Burn Pot Door Sticking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt1i

Jun 18, 2008
Central MA
I have a new Quadrafire Santa Fe which works great. The only problem is that the burn pot door tends to stick. Hard to pull the rod to get it open and also tough to close it. There's no buildup in the firepot but I scraped it anyhow. I finally got out the WD40 and gave a couple of shots down the fire pot, also removed the ash pan and squirted some on the hinge. I had to reach back and help pull it closed so now it's free until the next time. I wonder if others have run into this.

My CB1200 was suddenly sticking after several days of use.

I opened the front panel and saw that the casting was uneven where the hinge bolt for the pot door pivots. It seemed that the bolt shifted position a bit and the uneven surface caused it to bind. I loosened it up 1/4 turn and the door works freely again.

If it continues to aggravate me I will remove it and machine the rough casting parallel to the opposing face... Fringe benefits of being in the machining industry...

Pretty lousy that Quad couldn't bother to make it correctly... :mad:

yea, mine is hard as well. I did the same as you with the wd40. It worked a couple of times but then back to pulling hard.

Mine was frozen when I received it, some white powder around the pivot area.
Used PB Blaster and it freed up, if it sticks again I will go the anti-seize route, to lazy right now.

wd40 will only work until you use the stove and it burns off. Wd40 is good to use when not in use to prevent the door from rusting shut. If it is continuously hard to work even when clean, loosen the pivot bolt 1/4 turn as was sugested above.

Mine started to seize about a month or so after I had installed. Until I finally took a screwdriver and forced it open as I pulled the rod and it freed itself. It has worked super since. I make sure I pull the rod enough times and make sure nothing is wedging in that area again. My guess is that crap got stuck in area between the burnpot and the door. I didnt use any wd 40, its water based and dont last at all. So far so good......works super still :)

As mentioned, you can adjust the bolt that holds the pot bottom on to make it operate more smoothly. If you do this, just make sure the gap between the pot bottom and pot isn't too big, say a dime or so worth gap. Oh, and if you use WD or something, don't get it on the ignitor, not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.