Burn pot scraping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Hey all quick one here. I know the vid for pot scraping shows turning down the temp to 50 degrees to scrape. Why not just turn down the temp dial ( blower) down to scrape?

Last edited:
Have the gloves...flame isn't to intense?

Who needs hair on the hands anyway:)

Have the gloves...flame isn't to intense?
If my p61 is really in high ramp up I just wait till it tames down a little bit. Can be too intense for bare hands yes .. A high burn can be rather scorching especially for a quick scrape of the heat exchanger ! I just did this yesterday with gloves on in fact. I did not turn the stove down, it was in a low moderate burn at the time.. I wore gloves fwiw, but just regular work gloves. No problem.

Since I don't have a Harman I only scrap the burn pot when it is out of the stove during its weekly cleaning the stove door stays shut and latched the rest of the time , the welders gloves haven't seen much use lately.

image.jpg I slowly open the door and scrape wearing these

Yeah I just turn the blower down and scrape, close the door and turn it back up.

I rarely scrape the burnpot, first time was last year after several days burning FSU, also Chow's leave some soft clinkers, other than that never scraped in 17 yr's, Do your pellet's dance in the burnpot?, if not they could buildup and form a crust

I rarely scrape the burnpot, first time was last year after several days burning FSU, also Chow's leave some soft clinkers, other than that never scraped in 17 yr's, Do your pellet's dance in the burnpot?, if not they could buildup and form a crust
Us p35i owners do have to scrape our burn pots and btw the pot is fixed to the body. We scrape the carbon buildup off of it everyday. If you don't get carbon buildup in your burnout then it must be a different stove with different technology. I envy you...a little only ;)

Since I don't have a Harman I only scrap the burn pot when it is out of the stove during its weekly cleaning the stove door stays shut and latched the rest of the time , the welders gloves haven't seen much use lately.
same here except the AGP doen't even have a burn pot .. it has a platform with 14 deg slant toward the ashpan, the new pellets push out the ash into the pan, I take the platform out and clean off the little bit of carbon that builds up on it and while I'm at it also scrape the small amount of carbon build up off of the bottom of the auger tube... I use an old ATT Ma Bell linemans knife for this.. short stubby thick blade, rubberized handle

same here except the AGP doen't even have a burn pot .. it has a platform with 14 deg slant toward the ashpan, the new pellets push out the ash into the pan, I take the platform out and clean off the little bit of carbon that builds up on it and while I'm at it also scrape the small amount of carbon build up off of the bottom of the auger tube... I use an old ATT Ma Bell linemans knife for this.. short stubby thick blade, rubberized handle

I rarely have any build up to scrape but I do it anyway because I like to have the graphite gray showing so I know for a fact that that part of my air flow path is clean. I hate bad air flow ;ex.

Us p35i owners do have to scrape our burn pots and btw the pot is fixed to the body. We scrape the carbon buildup off of it everyday. If you don't get carbon buildup in your burnout then it must be a different stove with different technology. I envy you...a little only ;)
Or different pellets. My P61 with certain pellets builds carbon and others not . Basically the same pot designs ( P35i and P61). But ya, Harman's can require scraping of the pot !

I pull off the "cigar" ash and scrape twice a day...that's why I asked. Thanks all for the input.

Unless the flame is really cooking, I don't bother turning down blower or temp. I may turn temp down a little (not to 50 though) just to get the stove to settle down a bit, but usually just open the door slowly then scrape. I haven't used my welding gloves since last winter when I was really paranoid that I would burn my hand.

Unless the flame is really cooking, I don't bother turning down blower or temp. I may turn temp down a little (not to 50 though) just to get the stove to settle down a bit, but usually just open the door slowly then scrape. I haven't used my welding gloves since last winter when I was really paranoid that I would burn my hand.
I already burned the top of my fingers hence the welders gloves. I might be wrong but watching the Harman videos, the non insert Harman stoves seem to have more clearance in the burn area in general.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I already burned the top of my fingers hence the welders gloves. I might be wrong but watching the Harman videos, the non insert Harman stoves seem to have more clearance in the burn area in general.

If clearances are different, that would certainly be something to think about. I also spent many years working with really hot stuff, so my fingers are probably a bit tougher than the average persons. That being said, I still wouldn't stick my hand in there until the flame died down after opening the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.