Burn Problem Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
Yesterday I reconfigured the firebricks in my stove solving one problem I believe...but I used to load the stove and it would burn to ash from front to back and now the back is not burning. I attached a pic. There is a LOT of fuel back there. This morning I got up to a partially charred split left in the back and the stove cooling off.

How much does the outside air affect the burning in the stove? Could that be it?

Attachments

• 20150118_202357[1].jpg
    20150118_202357[1].jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 198
I don't know this stove. What changes were made to the firebrick? Are you sure something is wrong? Open up the air a bit and pull the coals forward and center.

not sure something is wrong at all...that's why I'm asking if this is normal.

There was a one inch space in the front of the top row of bricks the previous owner did not have there...smoke was dumping out the front of the stove that was supposed to go there I imagine is what was happening...the air flow wasn't right...

Doesn't look too bad. That could be the coals for restarting in the morning.

One of the problems with shutting a EPA stove all the way down and depending on secondary air for the burn. At some point with a deep firebox the secondary air is coming in mostly in front of what is left of the load. Headed toward the front of the stove. Leave it some primary air open to get back there and do a more complete burn.

That's a deep firebox. The above suggestions should work. The fire brick in the top should be all the way to the rear of the stove. No gaps.

One of the problems with shutting a EPA stove all the way down and depending on secondary air for the burn.

I don't even have a deep firebox and I have this problem. Mine will eventually burn down, but it takes a very long time and make very little heat. I leave the primary up a little bit and it works just fine.

Yeah. It was all the way to the front too yesterday. I do notice a small gap between the verticle ones across the back now will have to fix that at some point. Very grateful for all the help on this site i have no one and need experience. Thank you.

What this joint is all about. The rest is just chatter.

Reactions: Typ0
I agree with Brother Bart. My Jotul has a larger firebox than I had before. On overnight burn's I've had to leave the stove a little more open than I'd like because I know later on when I am asleep the wood will need that extra air.

My stove doesn't usually do that but I went to bed when it was 19 and woke up to 42 and I had what you had, might have just been the warmer temps.

North to south loading, or east to west?

with the deep fire box this is common as mentioned above. In my 30 if I go NS I get less of this but still the remaining coals and sometimes pieces of a split remain near the back or on one side or the other depending on the load. This is exaggerated if I go with an EW load and why I typically use NS burning. This is also the fuel I use to get the next fire going.

Looks fine - play with the air control a bit to find your sweet spot and don't worry about back end of a burn cycle smoldering - there is little or nothing left at that point in the form of creo creating fuel.

Reactions: CenterTree
with the deep fire box this is common as mentioned above. In my 30 if I go NS I get less of this but still the remaining coals and sometimes pieces of a split remain near the back or on one side or the other depending on the load. This is exaggerated if I go with an EW load and why I typically use NS burning. This is also the fuel I use to get the next fire going.

Looks fine - play with the air control a bit to find your sweet spot and don't worry about back end of a burn cycle smoldering - there is little or nothing left at that point in the form of creo creating fuel.

OK great! I was worried about the smoldering fire but am not any more. That's what I needed to hear!

At some point with a deep firebox the secondary air is coming in mostly in front of what is left of the load.
Yeah, I have this problem even with the small fire box on the Dutchwest, but I am loading E-W. I've been putting a soft Maple split in the back/bottom, hoping that will be a little more lively at the end of the burn than a chunk of Oak or BL. Or if I'm around, yeah, I'll give it a bit more air. I think part of what happens is that the coals in front of the back splits eat up a good deal of the oxygen before it can make it to the back. Besides loading N-S, the Buck 91 has another air channel half way back, across the top of the fire box, in tandem with the air wash air slider. Where that stove slows down at the end of the burn is along the sides, so I'll put a Cherry, Red Elm, soft Maple or real dry Ash split along each side when loading.

Reactions: crater22
Very informative thread, as I too have the issue of "leftover" charred pieces near the rear or off to the side on occasions.
I most always do N/S now.

I figure it is just the nature of the beast. I pull them forward and continue on to the next "fire".

Reactions: Typ0
I always have chunks in the very back after an all night burn. I just rakes them forward and even them out. A few minutes with the door cracked and everything is glowing orange and ready for the morning reload.

Had some this morning, no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.