Burn rate lbs per hour accurate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
Just curious if your stove is accurate. According to my manual, my stove will burn 1.1 lbs per hour on setting 1 (low).
by that, i should last (40/1.1 = ) 36 hours on 1 40lb bag.

I'm lucky to get a full 24 hours out of it. 21-22 is probably more accurate.

on (5) high, it's rated for 5.5 lbs /hr
(40x5.5 = )or 7.2 hours per bag. I get about 12 hours of burn time on high

So, my numbers are WAY off. too little on low, too much on high.

I've tested this across at least 7 different brands of pellets now, and the results are all the same.

Do your ratings add up? Is there something I should look at adjustment wise (i think the only thing i can adjust is the damper thingee (sorry don't know it's real name)). other than that, its off, 1,2,3,4 or 5. that's it.

the actual lbs/hr will depend significantly on pellet size, smaller pellets will give you a higher actual rate. I imagine stoves are rated on some standard pellet. Most augers I believe are 1 rpm so auger diameter and cycle programming is probably what gives differnt stoves the different feedrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.