Burn time for a Pacific Energy Super Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMule

Nov 11, 2013
Maryland
So we're finalizing our choices on a fireplace insert, and the question of burn times comes up. Just about all manufacturers post a claim of burn time for each model of insert. EXCEPT Pacific Energy. Nothing on the Super, which we are considering nor the Summit. I find this curious. And to top it off, PE doesn't post a phone number for you to call them. I had to download the Super Insert manual to find a general phone number for the company. The address is British Columbia and I'm east coast U.S., so I'll have to wait 3 hours or so to call and present this question.

I've been interested by PE's good reputation that I've gleaned from the Hearth.com forums. Can any PE Super Insert owner's here give me statement's of burn time? If it helps, I'll be burning oak, maple, hickory and sometimes some tulip poplar.

The problem with burn time is that it has no clear definition. Here, it is usually referred to as the time between loading the stove and having enough coals left for an easy restart. For the Super I found that loading it full with dry ash in the evening gives me about 8, sometimes 9 hours of meaningful heat until the blower shuts off and another 2 to 3 hours were I have enough coals left to easily relight the stove. It has been tested and found to have one of the longest burn times of a non-catalytic mid-size model: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacsupins.htm

After being now in my fourth winter with it I have nothing bad to say about it. Its heat output is great, the blower not too loud and actually not needed all the time, the baffle system is great and easy to remove for cleaning, burn times are excellent, it drafts really well, I rarely get smoke in the house and that with only 13 ft of liner. If it is the right size for you I can highly recommend it. If you want to heat more than maybe 1500 to 1800 sqft I would look at the Summit instead.

Just about all manufacturers post a claim of burn time for each model of insert. EXCEPT Pacific Energy.
And when they do, take it with a small grain of salt. Like Grisu says, there is no standard definition and the ads want to make their stoves look good. Burn times depend on many factors as well, like wood species, etc.

You should match your stove with your house size, climate and needs.Tell us a little about what you have to deal with in terms of house and climate.

My Super 27's performance matches that of Grisu's if that helps. It's a good size for my 1750 sf insulated house in a fairly mild marine climate.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.