Burn Time for PE Vista stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinnell

Sep 13, 2011
No Colorado
Can anyone give me a good idea of how long an overnight fire will run in the stove. Some stoves have this in their specs others don't.

Thanks

Well, I have the PE Alderlea T5 (the next size up from the Vista) and can get burn times, (with a full load) of 8-10hrs.

So I'm assuming you will get burn times of 4-6hrs in that stove. Probably not the best for overnight burning. More knowledgable people will chime in, though, I'm sure.

A Vista has a really small firebox... it won't last overnight if you are expecting constant heat. It should do a great job if you want a small fire for a small room, the trade off is you will be adding wood regularly. I have no experience with a Vista, I can tell you that a super 27 and a Summit both can throw heat for an overnight burn. Both will also hold coals a really long time. I would assume a vista would be similar, just with much less wood.

The Vista is not too tiny. It has about a 1.4 cu ft fire box that should provide about 4-6 hr burn times. With careful loading of a really good hardwood, maybe you could have coals 8 hrs later, but not a lot of heat.

The cabin has electric baseboard andI will in a year or two go to propane forced air but the stove is in the kitchen and as you walk in so want to keep it small as possible. This would replace a fisher baby bear

thanks

I have a pe super insert which is the next size up from the vista. The inserts and freestanding stoves have about identical fireboxes I believe. In my stove when I load up before bed I usually get about 6-7 hours of real heat. I can have enough coals to restart for 10-12 hours though. I think the vista can probably give 4-5 hours of usable heat.

I've got a T-4, which is the same firebox size. Exactly as BG says, 4-6 hours typical - 8 if I'm lucky. For me, it's supplemental heat (to electric baseboard), so it works well for me. Keeps the living room nice and warm when running. I have a little seasoned oak this year, so maybe I'll get some better burn times, but I'm not relying on it.

I have the Vista Insert. If I really stuff it on a good bed of coals before I go to bed, I can still have some coals 8 hours later. Realistic usable heat is about 4 to 6 hours as others have estimated. It's a great little stove, well built and easy to use. It does put out a lot of heat for its size. I find I tend to reload evey 3 to 4 hours when I'm around just to keep a nice fire going. I don't burn 24/7 so it's not such an issue, but if were burning 24/7 or trying to heat the whole house with just the stove, I'd want something bigger. But it's great for an evenings and weekends supplemental burner like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.