1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Burn Time vs. Blast Out

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Geoff, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I like the placement of the chair...it looks like that chair is set up to just sit and watch the fire and read a paper. A Pipe, a nice strong ale and an old dog would complete that picture.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    The insulated 6" liner should help your draft, but you may have a hard time getting it down the 7x7 flue tile. Is that the inside diameter?

As far as stoves, buy one that has a large fire box that states a 12 hr burn time, cat or noncat.
  3. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Wow! 24 hours! That's impressive! Do you have the Ultra, Parlor, or Classic option?

This thing claims low burn times of 40 hours! Even fudging that should guarantee a 12 hour burn.

Unfortunately, this stove has an 8" chimney requirement and won't fit into a 7" flue.
  4. got wood?

got wood? New Member

Loc:
    Acton, MA
    I've had 12-14 hour burns with my Lopi Liberty many times, easily...I really like the stove, it holds heat very well and is easy to load and get hot in a hurry (mornings, coming back from work, etc).
  5. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Yeah, the flue tile is 7x7 inside. There was an insulated aluminum liner for a gas stove in there that I took out. I need to check the OD on that but I think it was about 5.5". The toughest part about getting a 6" liner down will be the two 45° bends in the flue tile. I'm thinking about ordering a 2 or 3' long section to try in that area before I order a full length of flexible liner. I'd rather not have to go with a 5.5" liner if I don't have to...

So what does everyone think, can I heat a medium sized house with a large stove (to get long burn times) but not get the house too hot? That is what I'm actually doing right now, but its an older stove and I havn't been fully loading it (16" longs and it will take 26 or 27"). I've been damping it way down to get the long burn times, but I'm worried about buildup in the chimney.
  6. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Thanks for the info!
    I think something like that might be a good choice for us. So long as I can re-light off of coals after a day away from home (instead of having to spend the time building a new fire every night) and I can start introducing heat to the house quickly then I'm happy. Well... if I get the house too hot then I might not be happy but the lady of the house would like it! ;-)
  7. iburnpine

iburnpine Member

Geoff,

You might want to look into Regency as well. I have their smallest model and have been pleased with it's performance. A friend of mine has the larger model and he couldn't be happier. I've got nothing but great things to say about their stoves. I had the Lopi Patriot about 4 years ago. I liked it but they could certainly look into putting some sort of ash pan into their stoves. I also own a Jotul which might be another avenue for you. Just something to think about....

Here's a link to the Regency site (no, I don't work for them) Regency
  8. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Member

Mo Heat, I have the King 1107 Classic. Yes, it does require the 8 inch chimney, which is what I have. Probably would have gotten the smaller stove had I had the 6 inch chimney.
  9. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Loc:
    NH
    iburnpine - How good does the natural convection in the Regency work? Does it move a decent amount of air without the blower on?

I looked into the Regency stoves but there isn't a whole lot of needed info on their website (it only gives BTUs, max. log length, and effeciency). Fire box size? Burn times? etc... All those specifications aren't listed in the manual either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.