burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just basically looking for what woods to burn and what woods to stay away from.

I don't have the luxury of being a wood snob so i burn anything i can get my hands on. Some, like box elder i burn over shoulder season so i can save my ash and beech for the heart of winter.The only wood i will snub my nose at is basswood and i'll still take that if its easy to get. If i had the option i'd live on a steady diet of oak, beech and ash but i'd end up starving if i only took that.

NYNY, You didn't actually just say that you leave your stove "door open and then leave to go to work or shopping" did you? !!!! That's plain stupid... I can't tell you enough not to do that. I'm shocked no one else didn't catch that and tell you to IMMEDIATELY STOP doing that. I know saying it's stupid is harsh words but a burnt down house is worse. Lots of wood (seasoned or not) will spark a lot and could (and has before) caught something in the room on fire and there goes your house. Please don't keep doing this. I'll understand if you don't like my reply but I had to say something.

it was a joke. surprised no-one got it.

Nice looking wood corral ya got going on there!
LOL yeah, its a temp placement until I can get a wood shed built, its on a concrete foundation that used to have a shed on it... hopefully I can get a shed built again before next winter. Gonna throw a couple tarps over it to keep the wood dry, been stacked about 3 years, with the oak is recently cut a year ago. Been sitting in the sun all summer and relocated a few times til I got this pad cleaned up. I took a few used pallets I had and built the makeshift fence just to keep my wood from walking off.

Status
Not open for further replies.