Burn times (non-cat)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Cat

Feb 27, 2013
I'm looking at a few inserts and have settling in on products with ~2 cu.ft. fire boxes. It will be in a room that is only around 200 sq. ft. that open up to an area of around 250 sq ft. I'm OK if the heat output is close to zero after 8 - 9 hours but would like to be able to restart by simple adding a load of wood. Is this reasonable with s 2cu. ft. stove? Thanks.

tom

I have a 1.6 cf firebox and, when I use the right wood and load it correctly, can easily restart from coals after 8-9 hours. Small splits of soft wood with lots of air spaces are gone in a few hours. Larger splits of soft wood packed close together last about 6 or 7 hours. Large splits of hard wood like red oak packed tightly easily make 9 or 10 hours.

A lot depends on the type of wood, the size of the splits, and how the stove is loaded and burned. I use small splits of soft wood to warm the room quickly. Large splits of oak tightly packed for overnight burns.

KaptJaq

In non-cats, the longest burn times I have seen are with the mid-sized PE stoves. Next door neighbor regularly gets 10-12 hr. burn time in his with softwood. Tom Oyen tested a shop model at 16 hrs. Take a look at the Pacific Super and see if it will fit.

2 cuft is about the cutoff that is normally suggested for that length of burn. As KaptJaq says - it can be done. I don't know your reasons for a non-cat, but cat stoves usually perform a little better for long burns.

The PE super is on my list (and will fit) as is the osburn 2000 and heatilator ecochoice wins18. These are all relatively inexpensive stoves.

I'm leaning against the cats mostly due to cost and the fact that the local dealers carry the above stoves.

tom

I'm leaning against the cats mostly due to cost and the fact that the local dealers carry the above stoves.

I had the same trouble with my local dealers. They tried hard to talk me out of a cat stove, spewing much mis-information. I still don't know whether they truly believed some of the crap they tried to feed me, but I saw it as a good reason to abandon the local dealers, and find a stove on my own.

2 cuft is about the cutoff that is normally suggested for that length of burn. As KaptJaq says - it can be done. I don't know your reasons for a non-cat, but cat stoves usually perform a little better for long burns.
I didn't realize you were a moderator until today.. When did that happen Jags?

Ray

My Osburn Matrix has the same firebox as the 2000, and my experience with it this year was similar to what KaptJaq wrote above. On a stove full of dense wood loaded before bed, some recognizably split-shaped coals remain in the morning and heat output, while low, is not nothing. But with softer woods, or if I'm not packing the stove fairly full, not much will be left after 8 hours because the air can't be restricted enough to slow the combustion that much.

I'm OK if the heat output is close to zero after 8 - 9 hours but would like to be able to restart by simple adding a load of wood.

My guess is that this pattern will work best during the coldest part of winter when you're inclined to regularly pack the stove tight with high-BTU wood, but not so well in the shoulder season when you don't want so much heat. For the shoulders, a cat stove would probably be a better choice.

Reactions: raybonz
I didn't realize you were a moderator until today.. When did that happen Jags?

Ray

I said something wrong about a week ago. This is how they punished me.;em

My Osburn Matrix has the same firebox as the 2000, and my experience with it this year was similar to what KaptJaq wrote above. On a stove full of dense wood loaded before bed, some recognizably split-shaped coals remain in the morning and heat output, while low, is not nothing. But with softer woods, or if I'm not packing the stove fairly full, not much will be left after 8 hours because the air can't be restricted enough to slow the combustion that much.

My guess is that this pattern will work best during the coldest part of winter when you're inclined to regularly pack the stove tight with high-BTU wood, but not so well in the shoulder season when you don't want so much heat. For the shoulders, a cat stove would probably be a better choice.
Less wood, low BTU wood and small hot fires along with plenty of SC's and my stove is manageable in the shoulder seasons or milder weather..

Ray

I had a Lopi Endeavor which is 2.2 ft3 and it would get the 8-10 hours you're looking for pretty easy. The significant heat was probably gone after 6 hours but it had plenty of coals to start the next fire after 10 hours.

Recently had a chimney fire. Had an old craft stove that was a wood chewing beast. The temps in the flue were hot enough to warp and crack the metal so the insurance replaced the stove as well as a stainless liner. After searching and talking to different sweeps, I got a buck stove 81. I am getting about 9 hours on a good load of red oak with excellent heat and easy re fire. I usually get a very hot fire going and then shut the air down. When I get up in the am stove is usually around 350 to 400 with auto blower running. The wife loves it as well. she says its so much cleaner and easier to operate. Just a thought

Reactions: fox9988 and raybonz
Recently had a chimney fire. Had an old craft stove that was a wood chewing beast. The temps in the flue were hot enough to warp and crack the metal so the insurance replaced the stove as well as a stainless liner. After searching and talking to different sweeps, I got a buck stove 81. I am getting about 9 hours on a good load of red oak with excellent heat and easy re fire. I usually get a very hot fire going and then shut the air down. When I get up in the am stove is usually around 350 to 400 with auto blower running. The wife loves it as well. she says its so much cleaner and easier to operate. Just a thought

Where are you measuring your buck stove temps at 350-400, just curious!

Behind the left front side glass. Really love this stove. Last night my wife loaded it with a few peices i had just split for a fire outside and to my surprise, the stove actually burned it. poor heat thoug

Status
Not open for further replies.