Burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, coals in the stove represent an active stove, if for no other reason than it hasn't cooled down much yet, and you can start getting more heat out of it by just throwing in a few chunks of wood. If the stove is out, however, getting warm from it is going to take some work and some time, and I never have any of that to spare in the morning. So I think a stove containing coals is worth a lot more than a dead one.

thats my idea eric, if i can open the damper rake the coals and load up and go thats what i want, i dont want to build 2 fires every day, house stays 70+ until in the below zero here in the pocono's

bruce said:
thats my idea eric, if i can open the damper rake the coals and load up and go thats what i want, i dont want to build 2 fires every day, house stays 70+ until in the below zero here in the pocono's

That's my definition of burn time too. If I have to do more than rake the coals and load up, the burn time has expired! It may not be throwing much heat at that point, but to me burn time and heat time are not always the same. Might not be heating, but I would still consider it to be "burning".

this bed of coals is typical after 6-8 hours on a medium/low setting.
earth stove 2800ht
burning mainly bur oak

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 486
Status
Not open for further replies.