Burn Tube or Cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly suggest you consider installing an outdoor air kit if your house is that tight.

Deron said:
It's a finished basement which is very well insulated, the whole house is tight as a drum, which is why I have
been told I have a lazy draft and need a full liner.

I'm getting all kinds of different answers from dealers regarding Cat vs. Burn Tubes.

The last guy said it would cost me between $500 - $800 for a replacement Cat in the Buck 91 and the Cat
will only last me 3-5 seasons.

Isn't that way off? I thought they were

Semipro said:
I strongly suggest you consider installing an outdoor air kit if your house is that tight.

Deron said:
It's a finished basement which is very well insulated, the whole house is tight as a drum, which is why I have

I'm getting all kinds of different answers from dealers regarding Cat vs. Burn Tubes.

The last guy said it would cost me between $500 - $800 for a replacement Cat in the Buck 91 and the Cat

Is that something that can be connected to the Buck 91 after a liners installed if the draw is still poor or
would that need to be done beforehand. I believe the clean out box would give me access to run I guess
a tube of sorts?

Deron said:
Semipro said:

Deron said:

Is that something that can be connected to the Buck 91 after a liners installed if the draw is still poor or
would that need to be done beforehand. I believe the clean out box would give me access to run I guess
a tube of sorts?

You can definitely try the stove out 1st to see whether an O.A.K. is going to be needed. An OAK may help somewhat with a week draft but, more importantly, if you have a strong draft and a tight house you may get backdrafts in other appliances such as gas-fired water heaters, which is downright dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.