Burn with a small crack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
For some reason my gasket kept falling out of the glass on the outside of the stove...so i thought, "I'll fix you."

I pulled the gasket, put some stove cement in, and put it back.

I fired up the stove...a little later in the evening I noticed one, very small crack in the glass. The crack is about 1/4 of an inch long, starts where the gasket is, and stops shortly after...

It looks like the crack only extends to one side of the window...looking at it with a flash light.

Is it O.K. to burn with this? It's the only crack I see.

I had a cracked window also. The corner actually fell out, so I ordered a new one. $60 later I put the new one in and my dumb a$$ tightened it too much and cracked the new one. Guess what? I've been burning with a cracked window for 2 years now. However, the cracked part is being held in place by the gasket. If it starts to get loose, I will have to order another new one. If you are looking to order a replacement, I had good luck with www.onedayglass.com.

I'd keep and eye on it ...doesn't sound all the big that it would be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.