burn wood pellets in a coal stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k williamson

Mar 3, 2006
Hello to all,i have a harman magnum stoker coal stove ,would it be possible to burn wood pellets in this stove it burns rice coal and has a pusher block type of feeder,my only concern would the pellets in the 100lb hopper ignite? any thoughts on this thanks.

chief said:
Hello to all,i have a harman magnum stoker coal stove ,would it be possible to burn wood pellets in this stove it burns rice coal and has a pusher block type of feeder,my only concern would the pellets in the 100lb hopper ignite? any thoughts on this thanks.

Just curious why you would want to. You'd have to be feeding the heck out of that stove to get the same BTU's, plus I don't think the feed rates would work for you. Coal burns a lot slower than pellets I'd guess.

the question is why would you want to? pellets are generally more expensive and produce less heat. do you not have a supplier of coal?

Status
Not open for further replies.