Burned By Homeowners Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudolf

Mar 31, 2008
northern lower michigan
I am using a Better N Bens insert as a freestanding in my basement,unfortunatley it is not a member of the Underwrighters Laboratories club of who is who. Has anybody looked into retroactiveley getting the oldies that are truly goodies UL rated? Does anyone know where to get reasonable homeowners insurance that accepts our pet dinosaurs? This thing is not high tech, I have used about seven 4X4X8 cords of maple(some half rotted),oak and assorted free stuff since october. A february gas bill of forty eight dollars in northern lower michigan is noteworthy. Many of the uncertified stoves are of quality manufacture and built to last a long time. If they are in good condition and properly installed we should be able to use them . OUT IN THE COLD [email protected] thanx, Rudy

Rudy, many inspectors and insurance companies will accept "generic" stoves as long as they are properly installed to the present NFPA (National Fire Protection Assoc) guidelines. In fact, NFPA has many charts which are designed to apply to unlisted stoves.

Also, it is possible that your unit was approved - some BTB models were. But early labels were often poor - some of them being sticky labels, and they fell off. If you upload a picture, I will search my old literature here to see if something mentions it.

TO answer your exact question, you cannot get a single stove tested.....

Also, simply by the fact you are using an insert as a FS stove probably ends your chances of having any approve it. Unless that particular insert has provisions for doing that in the install manual?

If it is legit and installed to meet NFPA 211 specs for an unlisted stove then you should be able to find someone who would accept it. This is 36" clearance to combustibles all the way around though unless you have some fancy wall shields in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.