Burned some Oak, Cherry & maple, In Alaska!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Did a 2 year clean up of the shop.
Found several thing I forgot I had.
Hauled 4 full 5 gallon buckets of wood scrapes to the wood stove.
Will use some for kindling, but it's burning hot. 20 year seasoned wood burns good :)
I burned some West Virginia Red & White Oak, Cherry, & hard maple :)
Couldn't make my self burn anything I might use, saved lots of small pieces.
Pic of wood & clean shop.

Attachments

• 100_7239.jpg
    100_7239.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 567
  • 100_7247.jpg
    100_7247.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 588
  • 100_7241.jpg
    100_7241.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 618
Nice shop, Dave. And I bet that wood, when it was burning, reminded you of being back here in PA.....they are the everyday wood back here! :)

Thanks
The wood has good memories of Dad.
He had a saw mill in WV. We cut the trees, made boards about 20 years ago. Dried it for 2 yrs & & I went back & planed it.
I shipped a bunch to AK about 15 years ago. Precious stuff. Made the workbench, router table & other house furniture.
It was seasoned well :)

Nice shop you got there. looks very organized.

Wow - your shop tables look like fine furniture - love to see what you make in there! :)

Nice woodworking shop. I have dabbled in some woodworking for a long time but never have stayed with it enough to be called a serious woodworker. I see some good tools there and actually a woodworkers' workbench;). By the way, we went on an alaskan cruise a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Fishing for salmon in ketchikan and visiting a fish hatchery(Juneau) when they were running where the highlights of the trip. Beautiful state, just too cold for me, lol.

mfglickman said:
Wow - your shop tables look like fine furniture - love to see what you make in there! :)

Thanks
Couple project: work bench & router cabinet pics

Attachments

• vise-end7.jpg
    vise-end7.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 516
  • wbtopdn2.jpg
    wbtopdn2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 100_2676 20-00-22.jpg
    100_2676 20-00-22.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 511
  • 100_7250.jpg
    100_7250.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 500
  • 100_7251.jpg
    100_7251.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 492
O my! Great looking pieces.

that is some absolutely beautiful workmanship.
very impressive table.
how did you join the different layers together?
is that walnut and maple?

Wow...... That is work to be proud of. . . . Very nice job.

Sounds like good memories.

Maple & cherry
Cut allot of boards into smaller boards, used a resin slow curing glue so I could work the boards as even as I could.
Then ran them tru a planner, then Glued the 4 pieces for the top together, Routed davetail bow-tie joints with keys for the ends & side apron,
didn't glue the ends or key on one side so the top can move with moisture.
pic show how the top moves & slides on the keys so it don't split something.

Attachments

• bnch tp 8 pcs1.jpg
    bnch tp 8 pcs1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 473
  • 100_1522.jpg
    100_1522.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 100_1503.jpg
    100_1503.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 464
  • top keys3.jpg
    top keys3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 475
  • davetil in wb.jpg
    davetil in wb.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 463
That's some beautiful work.

bogydave-is that how you make your living, sorry if you have posted that answer before, I am getting old and forgetful. Thats a great looking shop and a good way so spend time in the winter up there.

oldspark said:
bogydave-is that how you make your living, sorry if you have posted that answer before, I am getting old and forgetful. Thats a great looking shop and a good way so spend time in the winter up there.

Ditto...
What are you turning out in that little slice o'heaven?

Nice, I have a problem of collecting wood from here and there.
Nice shop.

Nice work there! I guess you need something to do inside all winter up there.

Dave - I know I have told you this before, but that is some sort of spectacular work, ya got there. And I love the fact that it is a "working" table.

Wow - nice looking stuff ya got there! Where did you live in PA before you went to the great white north....

oldspark said:

Thanks
Retired (down-sized) from an oil company. Elect/corrosion tech - Pipeliner at a remote tank farm, tanker loading facility.
Buddies & I built the shop when I retired thru the summer. Then I finished the inside thru winter, ( Learned I won't do 5/8 X 12' sheet rock ever again ;) )
2nd winter built the work bench. Great learning experience. Good use for some of Dad's wood.
Had time & wanted to learn. Always wanted a shop.

Answer: No. like everything else I do now, it's a hobby (well fire wood, fishing, hunting, gardening are jobs now, heat & food) To busy do keep up with much else.
Don't know how I ever worked a job, "who did all this stuff when I was working" ? , "Nobody, it didn't get done". LOL :lol:

Some Pics of shop build:

Attachments

• e 100_0334.jpg
    e 100_0334.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 198
  • g 100_0358.jpg
    g 100_0358.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 198
  • m 100_0396.jpg
    m 100_0396.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 181
  • yz-floor paint1.jpg
    yz-floor paint1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 177
  • bench 1.jpg
    bench 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 192
very cool.

I want a shop like then in a few year to build a boat. It would be perfect.

osagebow said:
Wow - nice looking stuff ya got there! Where did you live in PA before you went to the great white north....

Thanks

20 miles S of Pittsburgh.
Near where Joe Montana played HS football. Our HS played against him , we lost
Started Jr High in PA, lived in WV before that, near Kingwood. (proud hillbilly roots)

Hey Dave - if ya want, I can get you some 5/8" x 16 ft rock. It will cut down on the finishing. :lol:

(and yes, there truly is 5/8" x 16 ft drywall)

mecreature said:
very cool.

I want a shop like then in a few year to build a boat. It would be perfect.

Make sure you build a big enough door to get that boat out when you are done, Noah. :)

mecreature said:
Nice, I have a problem of collecting wood from here and there.
Nice shop.

Now you understand when I see all the Oak, Maple, Cherry cut into fire wood, I think Wow, wouldn't that make some nice lumber :)
I mean a 3/4" X 8" X 8' oak board here is about $85. Don't see maple or cherry for sale here. Black Walnut is close to gold prices :lol;

Shop: I built it 12' ceilings in the main shop (36 X 32') & the un-insulated side (toy box) is 36' X 20'.

Thanks all,

today's Shop pic:

Attachments

• 100_7252.jpg
    100_7252.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 166
Seriously beautiful shop, Dave. I'm moving this thread out of The Wood Shed forum and over into the Perfect Picture forum where I think it's a better fit. Hang on...here we go. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.