Burnin wood on Halloween.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Well this is another successful "redneck hootinanny". I am at this very minute sitting in my front yard in a 2 person adirondack chair made with my own hands being warmed by a nice fire in a burn barrel. Since our neighborhood is rather spread out it's a tough walk for kids to make and we don't always get a lot of trick or treaters. A couple years back I got the idea to make it more of a community thing and I set a burn barrell out in the front yard. set up a table full of smores suppliies for the kids and a few bottles of wine for the adults. The adults gather around the barrel talking and the kids play football with a gloww in the dark ball. It had become such a regular thing that the neighbors encouraged me to keep it going .....so this year, despite my wife having chemo treatment monday, and despite a statewide burn ban ( I have taken steps to insure that I am in compliance with regulations) we did it again. And just like our primitave ancestors fire food and drink really bring people together. it's been great. I had my eldest son set out 5 splits and I burned that and a bunch of brokenn yard waste tonight. I'm siitting out here letting it burn down to so I can head to bed. When it doesn't put out enough heat to keep me comfotable I'll douse it with the hose stir it really well and head to bed.
I love a good burn. Hope everyone else out there is having a decent night.

Sounds like a great tradition to me. I am in a fairly rural area and we haven't had a trick or treater at the door since we moved in six years ago, despite the fact that there are kids around. Something like that might just be the ticket for a little halloween get together next year.

This year is a pretty tame one. Insert is cranking along and the house is toasty though.

Nice idea David. I thought of doing this a little too late this year. We only get a few kids due to our dark woodsy neighborhood but a warm glow of a fire might bring my neighbors around.

We couldn't have luminaries this year but you are certainly correct about that burn barrel.

Great Idea. I only got 6 kids this year down from a wopping 14 last year. But I live in a neighborhood. Be good to get folks to come by and visit more. Good Idea. Unfortunately, a fire in the front yard might get the attention of the firedept which is across the street from me. LOL

When we first moved here we got in the Halloween spirit. It is 900 feet down to the road so we decorated the bridge fifty feet from the road with bags with candles, set up a burn barrel and made the biggest Jack-O-Lantern I have ever seen and sat it in front of the middle of the bridge to welcome the trick or treaters. Booze and soft drinks for the parents and tons of goodies for the kids.

A lot of fun until some brain dead woman with a car load of kids drove straight down the drive and ran over the pumpkin. >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.