Burning 24/7 in Wood Stove - Show me the way....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do whatever ColdNH does since they have the same stove and schedule...there's a wealth of information in experience.

Hmm..10 hr burns with 2.25 CF box may be tricky, if possible. I have a 3.1 CF and I can have some nice coals left after 8 hrs, never really tried 10.

As Astrodon and emt1581 mentioned, having some ashes on the bottom of the stove is key. It insulates coals which allow them to retain their heat much longer. Just think of the old campfires/ beach bondfires: sometimes 20-24 hrs later if you dig to the bottom, it's still smoking and you just throw more wood on it and it takes off.

Andrew

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk (really) but I have heard only negatives about the Napoleon brand.
Just asking?

Hiram Maxim said:
I'm not trying to come off as a jerk (really) but I have heard only negatives about the Napoleon brand.
Just asking?

What were those negatives? Well, except for North of 60 that just needed to learn how to burn in a non-cat. And keeps not shipping that terrible stove to me. :lol:

Of course this time next year you will be a cat stove junkie too.

BrotherBart said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Just asking?

What were those negatives? Well, except for North of 60 that just needed to learn how to burn in a non-cat. And keeps not shipping that terrible stove to me. :lol:

Of course this time next year you will be a cat stove junkie too.

BB,

I have read that they eat wood :vampire: and are not built that well?

Now I know, I read it here and some other forums that folks just didn't think highly of them and that was the impression that I got.

If I remember, I believe N of 60 and Solar both had them and said they weren't worth a hill of beans.

Yeah I think your right.... I will this time next year be a cat stove junkie too. :)

:coolhmm: Keep em comming Alice/BB... BANG ZOOM!!! I just wasnt happy with a KIA. 6 miles to a tank of gas and repairs at the end of each winters drive. Mufflers etc...

Hiram Maxim said:
Just asking?

Read up a bit more on some back threads. There are a lot of happy Napoleon owners out there. And a grumpy one from the chilly north. That likes WA state made stoves. No problem with that.

BeGreen said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Just asking?

Read up a bit more on some back threads. There are a lot of happy Napoleon owners out there. And a grumpy one from the chilly north. That likes WA state made stoves. No problem with that.

Naaaa not grumpy. Just sharing the comparison.
The Nap is a nice looking stove and they have great advertising. BUT so does some of the Kias HA HA
You can still drive/heat with any of them though. For steel plate non Cats I think they could supply a better upper refractory. They should of kept it simple like Buck, Englander,Century ,Lopi etc... I hope you know what I mean.
Cheers.

Hiram Maxim said:
If I remember, I believe N of 60 and Solar both had them and said they weren’t worth a hill of beans.
Yeah I think your right.... I will this time next year be a cat stove junkie too. :)

I'd give that maybe two weeks from the time you light the stove for the season. I had a VC not a Napoleon before the BK.

SolarAndWood said:
Hiram Maxim said:
If I remember, I believe N of 60 and Solar both had them and said they weren’t worth a hill of beans.

I'd give that maybe two weeks from the time you light the stove for the season. I had a VC not a Napoleon before the BK.

No Doubt.... :cheese:

BeGreen said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Just asking?

I will do so!

Did Summer come to your house yet?

Cheers,Hiram

north of 60 said:
:coolhmm: Keep em comming Alice/BB... BANG ZOOM!!! I just wasnt happy with a KIA. 6 miles to a tank of gas and repairs at the end of each winters drive. Mufflers etc...

I wish that Englanders had the stainless protection for the fiber board like the Naps do Ralph. And some day just for the hell of it, find the unrestricted EPA holes in that Nap and plug'em up and take it for a test drive.

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:

I wish that Englanders had the stainless protection for the fiber board like the Naps do Ralph. And some day just for the hell of it, find the unrestricted EPA holes in that Nap and plug'em up and take it for a test drive.

What stainless protection? Not on the model I had. Just a two piece $120 replacement fiber board yearly. Must be something they changed. Which they needed to obviously.
I ended up installing two layers of custom cut fire brick up above and left the same gap up front as the original did. As for plugging up the unrestricted EPA air slot. Been there and done that too. You had to stay around the stove and keep putzing with it when you turned it down so the flame wouldn't go out. You can only turn it down so much and then if to far it would look like your chimney went through puberty over night. Ya Im impressed. What I didnt care for either about was a runaway or spending the 1st hour around the stove after a reload to assure maintained secondaries. Thanks for the tips but done that. Not worth the six our burn it could give me. Rant over. :coolgrin:
Peace

Interesting, I have no issues with my napoleon, im also curious about the stainless protection, pretty sure mine doesnt have that. But i do not know how you managed to need to replace the fiber boards yearly. as long as your careful loading and dont bash the logs into the top of the stove they are pretty resilant. also if you paid 120$ to get them replaced you got RIPPED off

clicky

north of 60 said:
BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
:coolhmm: Keep

em comming Alice/BB... BANG ZOOM!!! I just wasnt happy with a KIA. 6 miles to a tank of gas and repairs at the end of each winters drive. Mufflers etc...

What stainless protection? Not on the model I had. Just a two piece $120 replacement fiber board yearly. Must be something they changed. Which they needed to obviously.
I ended up installing two layers of custom cut fire brick up above and left the same gap up front as the original did. As for plugging up the unrestricted EPA air slot. Been there and done that too. You had to stay around the stove and keep putzing with it when you turned it down so the flame wouldn't go out. You can only turn it down so much and then if to far it would look like your chimney went through puberty over night. Ya Im impressed. What I didnt care for either about was a runaway or spending the 1st hour around the stove after a reload to assure maintained secondaries. Thanks for the tips but done that. Not worth the six our burn it could give me. Rant over. :coolgrin:
Peace

OK look it. Never bashed them loading the stove. Its called runaway/overfire. Pine at 15%...Sorry for having seasoned dry wood.
NEXT... Your price is about right, I never got ripped off. Think about it... $25 times two= $50 American. That was $75 Canadian Back then. I bought them from the dealer so add another $20-25 for mark up. NOW add shipping. A $25 minimum. Look where I live. Looks like I got a deal now doesnt it?
>:-(

north of 60 said:
OK look it. Never bashed them loading the stove. Its called runaway/overfire. Pine at 15%...Sorry for having seasoned dry wood.
NEXT... Your price is about right, I never got ripped off. Think about it... $25 times two= $50 American. That was $75 Canadian Back then. I bought them from the dealer so add another $20-25 for mark up. NOW add shipping. A $25 minimum. Look where I live. Looks like I got a deal now doesnt it?
>:-(

Rest Norton. Your manhole cover is blowing off. ;-) Like we accept the fact that cat stoves are wonderful, ya gotta accept the fact that some of us love our non-cats. Warm is the goal herel.

I would like to know where I mentioned the word CAT stove in this thread. Someone spoke for me here on how I didnt know how to operate my Napoleon properly, Trixy. Then was told it had a stainless sheild to protect the baffle board, and then I was ripped off for how much I paid to replace it by someone else. So I was just backing myself up to show I aint full of creosote.
KAPEASH :exclaim:

45 minutes from opening the stove in the AM and closing it down to go to work does not seem realistic to me at all. For starters, if you don't have a decent coal bed in the AM then it will take longer for sure. You may have to be flexible with what time you will have to get up. I get up pretty early and like getting the stove ripping putting out some heat for a while prior to closing it down for the day.

BrotherBart said:
And keeps not shipping that terrible stove to me. :lol:

Speaking of which when are you going to ship me the Jotul F3CB? That stove would look mighty fine in my kitchen.

North Of 60 needs a hug.

i,m not too into the cat vs non-cat hallabaloo,as long as we,re warm i guess....but damn those bk,s are god awful ugly...beating them with a pipe would make a marked improvement

roddy said:
i,m not too into the cat vs non-cat hallabaloo,as long as we,re warm i guess....but damn those bk,s are god awful ugly...beating them with a pipe would make a marked improvement

The Blaze King pipes come in an elegant enamel coating offering you a choice of black, ocean blue, vibrant green, mystic red, and buttermilk cream.

BrowningBar, can you provide a link to these pipes? I am wondering about them for another stove, but need to check the specs and get a visual on the color.

BeGreen said:
BrowningBar, can you provide a link to these pipes? I am wondering about them for another stove, but need to check the specs and get a visual on the color.

Sure. :)

10-2.jpg

LOL :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.